Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: expat canuk- new user and new pool- in costa rica

1. Back To Top    #1

expat canuk- new user and new pool- in costa rica

this is a new pool. finished filling it monday - took 4 days using well water. initial test results were

FC - 0
    TC - 0
    pH - 6.8
    TA - 40
    CH - 50
    CYA - ?

tuesday night i added 500 grams of a granular chlorine with 70% available chlorine. revised test wed. am results were

FC - 3
    TC - 6
    pH - 6.8
    TA - 40
    CH - 50
    CYA - ?

wed night i added 200 grams of a granular chlorine with 70% available chlorine. revised test this am results were

FC - 0
    TC - 1
    pH - 6.8
    TA - 40
    CH - 50
    CYA - ?

the water is now showing a slightly green color.

i am in costa rica and having trouble finding a proper test kit, but have now at least located a CYA kit- arrives tommorow.

i can now purchase SODA ASH, GRANULATED CHLORO- or liquid bleach if better, CYA, sodium bicarbonate

i know i need to raise my pH and CYA and add chlorine-

how much, and in what sequence is best recommended

i am surprised the water is showing green already.
    concrete pool tiled walls- painted floor, 12m x 6m - 20,000USG. [/b]Hayward sp1592[/b] 1 HP - Hayward S180T Sand filter-35GPM 150lbs sand
    INLINE hayward CHLORINATOR w/tablets, Trying to use BBB Method
    pool is in Costa Rica - average daily temperature is 26 degrees C or 78-80 degrees F

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: expat canuk- new user and new pool- in costa rica

Welcome to TFP!!!

Can you confirm that type of chlorine you are using?

CYA will be 0 ppm in the well water ... so you have to add it. If you are using dichor / trichlor, that will be adding CYA with the FC, so you have to keep track how much you are adding to make sure the CYA does not get too high. If it is cal-hypo, which I am guessing it is, then that is adding calcium and your CYA will still be zero. With no CYA, the FC will quickly be burned off by the sun, so that could be why the pool is turning green.

Have you read through Pool School (button at upper right) to get a full understanding of the pool's chemistry?

I see in your signature a tablet chlorinator ... I would recommend you avoid using it to avoid your CYA growing out of control

The liquid chlorine is much easier to control if it is reasonably priced down there.

Start using the poolcalculator.com to determine how much of each chemical you need to add to get certain effects.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good luck with your pool Halifaxblue. I'll be in Costa Rica from 3/19 - 3/26 so get that water perfect before I get there

Actually, I am waiting myself to fill (probably next week if they can get the interior finish complete) and will be using TFP and the methods described herein exclusively to maintain my pool.

Best of luck in CR!

Sciz Milson
    Completed March 1, 2013. 12,500 gallon IG Lagoon Style w/swimout, walk-in steps, 15' x 30' x 3' - 5', Gunite, Wet Edge Technologies, Pebble Sheen - Northshore Tahoe, 2" Tennessee Fieldstone Coping, Belgard Country Blend Pavers, 1.5 HP Superflo, 19" Tagelus Filter, IC-20 SWCG.

4. Back To Top    #4

You want to get your pH up first. Then you can add CYA and FC.

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks all, i'll give it a try
    concrete pool tiled walls- painted floor, 12m x 6m - 20,000USG. [/b]Hayward sp1592[/b] 1 HP - Hayward S180T Sand filter-35GPM 150lbs sand
    INLINE hayward CHLORINATOR w/tablets, Trying to use BBB Method
    pool is in Costa Rica - average daily temperature is 26 degrees C or 78-80 degrees F