Shallow at both ends ????

Feb 16, 2013
Hi,

What's everyones thoughts on having a pool that is shallow on both ends and deeper in middle (mainly rectangular)? Would this get more use out of for children and teenagers, so they can play water polo easier and sports? Downside is of course no diving, but it seems not many people dive anyways. For the most part I think people just hang out, do laps, float around. would it be safe to dive in middle, how many feet is it sort of safe for simple 45 degree diving? I am sure there are codes that determine depth for safe diving, right?

Anyone have this type of pool, what are the shallow and middle depths ?

Advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks,

I have a "play pool" it is a rectangle 18x36 and is 3 1/2 deep at one end and 4 ft at the other and 5 ft in the middle. We also have a tanning shelf (7x8 and 18 inches deep) and a bench or shelf 18 in. deep all along one side for seating. We also put umbrella sockets on each side for a volley ball net. We love the set-up. Great for anything but diving. The only thing I would change is, make it 4 ft at each end. It seems that when kids are big enough to be off the tanning shelf they migrate directly to the 4 ft end.

I would argue against allowing diving in any residential sized pool. The older designs with a 9 ft deep diving well and a diving board resulted in far too many injuries as divers would strike the opposite wall. You need a fairly large area of deep water to safely dive.

Diving should not really be done unless the pool is 8+ feet. Not to say that people that know what they are doing can't do so safely in less, but seeing someone do it just makes other less experienced people think they can too and may result in injuries and lawsuits.

That is how my I designed my pool.

My children are younger but the deeper center lets them jump off the elevated spa

[attachment=0:2kvrigs3]PoolSketch.jpg[/attachment:2kvrigs3]

Attachments

• PoolSketch.jpg
    PoolSketch.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 187
My inlaws have a 4-5.5-4 sports pool and I can shallow dive into it although I take off from the shallow end and dive a long way into the pool so I'm diving into the 5.5 section. In theirs, there isn't really enough space to dive from the middle of the pool, you kinda have to dive over the shallow end towards the middle, otherwise you'd hit the opposing wall. You have to control the dive carefully though, it would be very easy to hit the bottom if you didn't know what you were doing. It's fine to jump into though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.