Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shallow at both ends ????

1. Back To Top    #1

Shallow at both ends ????

What's everyones thoughts on having a pool that is shallow on both ends and deeper in middle (mainly rectangular)? Would this get more use out of for children and teenagers, so they can play water polo easier and sports? Downside is of course no diving, but it seems not many people dive anyways. For the most part I think people just hang out, do laps, float around. would it be safe to dive in middle, how many feet is it sort of safe for simple 45 degree diving? I am sure there are codes that determine depth for safe diving, right?

Anyone have this type of pool, what are the shallow and middle depths ?

9,000 gal. in-ground concrete pool
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump and motor (1 HP)
    Pentair CC100 cartridge filter (100 sq ft)
    Zodiac MX8 suction pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shallow at both ends ????

I have a "play pool" it is a rectangle 18x36 and is 3 1/2 deep at one end and 4 ft at the other and 5 ft in the middle. We also have a tanning shelf (7x8 and 18 inches deep) and a bench or shelf 18 in. deep all along one side for seating. We also put umbrella sockets on each side for a volley ball net. We love the set-up. Great for anything but diving. The only thing I would change is, make it 4 ft at each end. It seems that when kids are big enough to be off the tanning shelf they migrate directly to the 4 ft end.

I would argue against allowing diving in any residential sized pool. The older designs with a 9 ft deep diving well and a diving board resulted in far too many injuries as divers would strike the opposite wall. You need a fairly large area of deep water to safely dive.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Diving should not really be done unless the pool is 8+ feet. Not to say that people that know what they are doing can't do so safely in less, but seeing someone do it just makes other less experienced people think they can too and may result in injuries and lawsuits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Sault Ontario

There some pics of similar pools floating around the forum, I've seen a few pools like this posted here.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

Klein Tejas

That is how my I designed my pool.

My children are younger but the deeper center lets them jump off the elevated spa

Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower

6. Back To Top    #6
    Houston, Tx

My inlaws have a 4-5.5-4 sports pool and I can shallow dive into it although I take off from the shallow end and dive a long way into the pool so I'm diving into the 5.5 section. In theirs, there isn't really enough space to dive from the middle of the pool, you kinda have to dive over the shallow end towards the middle, otherwise you'd hit the opposing wall. You have to control the dive carefully though, it would be very easy to hit the bottom if you didn't know what you were doing. It's fine to jump into though.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod