Pump for smallish pool

giulietta1

In The Industry
Mar 29, 2007
Knippa, Texas
My pump has quit and I'm afraid it may be the end of this one! It is a two-speed pump and I have been in the habit of running it 24/7 on low, which is 1/8 hp. High speed is 1 hp. I have no automation or timer. To run my solar heat, I have a 3/4 hp (uprated) booster pump. The main pump must be running to operate the solar pump.

I've seen lots of discussion here about automatic variable speed pumps and other cool stuff. I would like to have a two-speed pump (as a minimum) which I'd usually run on low speed. Even better would be to add a timer so I don't have to run it 24/7! My pool capacity is rather small, I believe in the 6000-7000 gallon range. Since it's indoors, I don't get all that much junk in it.

I would like to get something reliable that would be economical to run. I'm willing to pay more up front to get a pump that would be more efficient to operate and thus cheaper in the long run. TIA for suggestions and recommendations!

The Pentair IntelliFlo would be a great choice. It has a wide adjustable power range and is very efficient. It costs quite a bit more up front, but will pay for it's self in the long run. How long it takes to pay back depends on your electric rates, high rates mean rapid payback. It could easily replace both of your existing pumps, though wiring it to the solar controller might be a little on the expensive side (the one thing I don't like about it) unless you already have a Pentair automation system.

You could continue to go with a two speed pump. There are some great 2 speed WhisperFlo pumps that would fit right into your existing setup for much less up front than an IntelliFlo though with little if any electrical savings.

Unless you get the IntelliFlo VF, which has a built in timer, or a new automation system, you should get a timer. Intermatic makes a number of models that would be suitable, with a wide range of optional features in the $100 to $200 price range.

I've found the pump you're talking about (Intelliflo VF3050). My solar setup has no automation, so that would be an extra expense to set that up. I could replace the main pump now and add temperature sensors and controller later.

Does $1200 sound right to you? That seems to be the going rate for this pump. Now if the pool guy would get his @$$ out to fix my pool, maybe I'll be able to swim sometime before August!!

It is expensive, but as you said, it will pay for itself over time! And I'm going to need to do some additional upgrading, but maybe that can wait until I've saved up a few more pennies.

Thanks for your advice!

There is another version of the IntelliFlo, the VS model, often called the 4x160. It doesn't have the flow meter or the time clock, just straight variable speed, and is generally under $900. Either one would probably work, but some of the fancy features are cool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.