Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool lights

Long time lurker - first time poster.

Simple question I can't find an answer to: can I install or have installed LED pool lights in an in ground pool that has no lights in it?

Thanks for your help.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pool lights

Welcome to TFP!!!

Anything is possible with a deep enough check book

I am not sure if there are easy / cheap retrofit options or not (like hanging something over the side) ... let's see what others may be aware of.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

I'm gonna' bump this thread because I think there have been some lights discussed here on the forum that might work but I couldn't locate them.......maybe someone else will remember
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The Great State of Texas

I will be watching this thread. I have 1 light in the pool and I would love to figure out how to get some more in during a remodel. Also, in case you haven't seen, there are glow in the dark tiles - not the same as lights, but might be something to consider.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

5. Back To Top    #5

Tampa Bay

Savi Melody LED lights are small, fit into standard pool fittings and can go near water surface, etc. you can put a couple in to evenly dist light. I am deciding between 2 of them or 1 Intellibrite for my new build starting soon. Good luck! Hope this helps!
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION - 16x28' Freeform Pool with sunshelf, 3.5'-5.5' depth;
    7' Spa raised 18", 6 jets alternating heights, Flagstone on raised beam
    Stonescapes mini pebble finish, Tropical Blue; Stonelock Artistic Pavers; Bronze aluminum screen enclosure
    Sta-Rite Intelliflo 3HP VS Pump and DE Filter, SWG, 400K BTU Gas Heater, Globrite LED Lights
    Easy Touch Automation with Screenlogic smartphone interface[/b]

6. Back To Top    #6
    NE Kansas

I have 2 Savi lights and they are great. True they fit in a standard return fitting but require 14 inches straight conduit from return before the bend then conduit to the control panel. They allow for install 4 inches below water surface but I have mine 14 inches to better light the entire pool.

So, installing when building is simple, but after the pool is already built will still require all the digging/trenching as would any other light system.

I believe the main advantage with a retro fit would be that you could simply drill a 1 1/2 or 2 inch hole from the inside of the pool and the complete the trenching on the outside. No light bucket or niche required.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.