Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Percentage of copper in rebar?

1. Back To Top    #1

Percentage of copper in rebar?

My understanding is that rebar is made from scrap metal and can be composed of most anything. Can anybody confirm if there is copper in rebar?

Thanks!
    10 x 26 IG gunite/plaster
    7300 Gallons
    Hayward Tristar single speed 1 HP
    Hayward CF C4025
    Pool DOB 1/10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Percentage of copper in rebar?

There COULD be copper in rebar. It has to meet a certain minimum composition and strength but there's no maximum. It's really not an issue as it's supposed to be completely encapsulated in the concrete.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave.
    I have unexplained copper staining all over my plaster pool which didn't start until a rebar stain appeared. As the rebar stain grows, so does the copper staining, so I was curious if this could be connected. (No heater)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10 x 26 IG gunite/plaster
    7300 Gallons
    Hayward Tristar single speed 1 HP
    Hayward CF C4025
    Pool DOB 1/10

4. Back To Top    #4

It is very unlikely that a small exposure of rebar like that would cause staining anywhere other than within several inches. Or to put that another way, that kind of rebar problem does cause local staining, like the stains seen in the picture, but it wouldn't cause staining outside the region we can see in the picture.

Copper can come from heaters, other copper plumbing (rare), ionizer or "mineral" systems, and some kinds of algaecide.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Don't forget chlorine tabs, which I think was mentioned in the other post. Those 3-in-1 tabs have copper to act as an algaecide. And once it is in the water, it doesn't come out.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.