Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tile over tile?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tile over tile?

We hired a contractor to install new tiles and also resurface our pool.

Today is the first day of re-tile job and i guess that comes before the pool resurfacing job. I noticed that he's sanding on top of our existing tiles, rather than removing them, and planning on putting new tiles over them.

Is this the norm? This company has done jobs for our other neighbors and have gotten good reviews, this decision to tile over tile surprised us a bit..
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tile over tile?

That does not sound like a good idea to me. If the original tiles ever "let go" then the new ones are going with.

When I redid our pool everything (old plaster and tile/grout) was chipped out down to the gunite surface.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just sent in an email to the company - asking about why they aren't removing existing tiles when every google search seems to recommend removing old tiles first before installing new tiles.

I did mention that I am uncomfortable with the idea of putting new tiles on old because the adhesives behind those existing tiles are probably weakened (it's the original that came with our pool, so at least 15+ years old), and if those give out, so will our new tiles.

I also asked if they could instead take out old tiles, and put in new, and if that cannot be done, I need to know what kind of warranties we are getting and how long it lasts in the event tiles do fall off some years later.

Waiting for a response now. They haven't put on any new tiles yet.. they have simply sanded on top of existing tiles so far today.
    Florida-style enclosure (lanai) housing 18,000-gallon outdoor in-ground salt pool/spa, PeebleTec finish. Spa water waterfalls into pool. Hayward model 17502 cartridge filter system, Hayward SP3400VSP EcoStar Variable-Speed Pool Pump. One skimmer, Baracuda Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Palm Harbor, Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I see it done all time with no issues as long as they prep the old and use the correct adhesive. As long as the old tiles are still held in place then you should be good. It saves lots of money from having to remove the old tile and the old finish if the new tiles are of the exact same size as the old.

Again, I see it done all the time.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,