what should solar cost to install?

Sep 18, 2012
Lake Nona, Florida
We've gotten 2 quotes for a turnkey solar install on our new pool. Both sized us for 6 panels. We already have the automation and a spare actuator so the cost is really just the panels and panel install.

First quote was $3000
Next quote was $5000! But if we didn't take the best panel it was $4200... Then if we are willing to let them schedule the work on "standby" maybe $3700.

What is the price range for a turnkey 6 panel system? Is there value in a written guarantee against roof leaks?

$3000 sounds about right to me ... the controller and actuator are really not that expensive, but the companies sure do charge a lot for the panels and install. At previous house I think I paid $5000, but had more panels and included install of SWG. At current house, I installed 500 sqft myself for ~$1000 ... got the panels used off Craigslist and then ended up having to buy a bunch of parts I did not realize were missing, so should have been less. Although at this point I do not have it automated.

IDK, about the value of a roof leak guarantee.

Bama Rambler said:
I'd say $3k is about right.

Depending on the wording in roof leak warranty, it could be worth a great deal. There's not much of a chance it leaking but if it did, what would it cost to repair the damage?

I'm not sure why... but I was expecting about $4K and the first $3K quote was a nice surprise. Then again I should have known the first guy was going to be low since he's a low overhead small family business - father and two brothers... and I'd never heard of his panel manufacturer.

Hmmm... as I type this the second guy just called back with a quote of $3600 if we can do the work now. His panel is Fafco btw.

And for the roof warranty - I'm not so concerned about patching up a few shingles if needed... but the roof is our porch and if it leaked it would damage a $3500 tongue and groove stained spruce ceiling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.