Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what should solar cost to install?

1. Back To Top    #1

what should solar cost to install?

We've gotten 2 quotes for a turnkey solar install on our new pool. Both sized us for 6 panels. We already have the automation and a spare actuator so the cost is really just the panels and panel install.

First quote was $3000
    Next quote was $5000! But if we didn't take the best panel it was $4200... Then if we are willing to let them schedule the work on "standby" maybe $3700.

What is the price range for a turnkey 6 panel system? Is there value in a written guarantee against roof leaks?
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what should solar cost to install?

$3000 sounds about right to me ... the controller and actuator are really not that expensive, but the companies sure do charge a lot for the panels and install. At previous house I think I paid $5000, but had more panels and included install of SWG. At current house, I installed 500 sqft myself for ~$1000 ... got the panels used off Craigslist and then ended up having to buy a bunch of parts I did not realize were missing, so should have been less. Although at this point I do not have it automated.

IDK, about the value of a roof leak guarantee.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd say $3k is about right.

Depending on the wording in roof leak warranty, it could be worth a great deal. There's not much of a chance it leaking but if it did, what would it cost to repair the damage?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I'd say $3k is about right.

Depending on the wording in roof leak warranty, it could be worth a great deal. There's not much of a chance it leaking but if it did, what would it cost to repair the damage?
    I'm not sure why... but I was expecting about $4K and the first $3K quote was a nice surprise. Then again I should have known the first guy was going to be low since he's a low overhead small family business - father and two brothers... and I'd never heard of his panel manufacturer.

Hmmm... as I type this the second guy just called back with a quote of $3600 if we can do the work now. His panel is Fafco btw.

And for the roof warranty - I'm not so concerned about patching up a few shingles if needed... but the roof is our porch and if it leaked it would damage a $3500 tongue and groove stained spruce ceiling.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You don't want it to ruin anything so make sure there is a good warranty.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

If the warranty has really good coverage then that usually means really good installation practices and that's really the worth of the warranty.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have the those parts $2500 -3000, look it up on solardirect.com