Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Intelliflo VS priming problems!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Intelliflo VS priming problems!

Howdy gents. I've had a Pentair Intelliflo VS installed since last June. It worked perfectly all summer and for the first time ever I didn't battle algae in the hot months.

Problem though, I can't get the dang thing to prime for the life of me! It starts up, ramps up to top speed and reads "priming". Occasionally it pulls in large amounts of water, but the second the power reverts back to a lower setting, BAM! The basket empties and it runs dry for a period before giving me the alarm and shutting off. Other times it will never start out pulling water, just a trickle from the pool to the pump. The basket sits mostly empty. When I add water per the manual, it drains backward, into the pool and never stays in the basket. I've tried bleeding the air from the filter until water shoots out and that works off and on, but I just can't get this thing to prime and run with a full flow of water. Any thoughts? I've read the old thread where a guy had similar problems, but mine seems different. It's not the "priming time" it's that the dang basket is empty and therefore the pump can't prime itself. Pump is only about 12-18" above pool surface. Thanks for the help.
    35k gallon 20x45 inground concrete with vinyl liner - Stamped Concrete deck
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5HP - Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE
    Heat Siphon heat pump - Compupool cpsc48
    Blue Diamond RC robot vacuum - TF100 testkit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pentair Intelliflo VS priming problems!

It sounds like you have a suction side air leak. Air is being drawn into the system somewhere between the pump and the skimmer(s) and that prevents the pump from priming.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, welcome to TFP! First thing I would do is check for air leaks. Make sure the drain plug on the pump basket is snug, and make sure the pump basket lid fits securely. Apply a thin layer of silicone pool lube on the lid's o-ring to ensure a good seal. The water in the pool should be 1/2 to 2/3 up the skimmer opening to prevent the pump from sucking in air while it runs. Check for leaks in the pipe joints by pouring a thin stream of water over each pipe joint and watch for water being sucked into the joint.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I'll look at those areas. Any additional help or suggestions by the pros out there would be much appreciated. I'm about to toss this thing into the neighbor's yard!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Thanks. I'll look at those areas. Any additional help or suggestions by the pros out there would be much appreciated
    Suction side leaks are one of the most common, yet hard to find issues. One thing for certain, though, your problem IS coming from the suction side of your system and that is causing your pump not to prime. It has nothing to do with the equipment on the pressure side nor any other part of the system.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I figured as much. I'll have to track down that leak. Thanks!