Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommended Replacement Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommended Replacement Pump

Hello,
    My above ground pool pump is starting to get extremely loud, so I am looking to replace it. I currently have a Marathon Electric 1.5 HP Square Flange Motor (C1246,5KC39UN6086X), connected to a STA-RITE P2RA Centrifugal Pump.

My pool is a 9000 gallon in-ground pool with 3 intakes, 1 skimmer, and I use the Barracuda sweeper system for cleaning the bottom.

It looks like the original motor was only a 1 HP motor, and when the previous owner replaced it, they went with the 1.5 HP motor currently installed.

I have looked at what is out there, and could replace just the motor for less than $200, but am also interested in potentially replacing either the motor or the whole system with a more energy efficient model. I am looking for recommendations and help on a replacement.

Thank you,
    Jim
    9000 Gallon In-Ground KrystalKrete Pool, Sta-Rite Posi*Flo II PTM-70 Cartridge Filter, Sta-Rite Centrifugal 1.5 HP Single Speed Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommended Replacement Pump

You can save money on electricity by switching to a two speed motor of the same size. Running on low speed is much more efficient, and it ends up costing about half as much as running on full speed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

connellyjs:

Another vote for going with a 2-speed. Even factoring in that you will need to run it for twice as long as a similarly sized single-speed to get an equivalent water turnover, you will save around 50% in energy costs. I did a couple of internet price searches on behalf of another user comparing similarly-sized single-speed and 2-speed pumps and found the cost difference to be around $80-$100. Even at his low electric rate (8.3 cents / kWh), he would likely recoup the cost difference of the 2-speed within a year or less due to the energy savings. If your rates are higher (which is likely since 8.3 cents is a low rate), your payback could be quicker.

I'm curious about one thing: Do you know why the previous owner went from a 1 HP pump to a 1.5 HP? I would think that a 1 HP pump for a 9,000 gallon pool is plenty (and then some).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the help. No, I am not sure why he installed a 1.5 HP pump. I am not real confident he knew what he was doing, so may just have purchased whatever the local pool store had available.

As for a 2 speed, do you have any recommendations on brand/model that would easily install in place of the Marathon Electric motor? Since the pump itself is original as well (installed in 1995), am I better off replacing the entire pump? I wouldn't want to replace the motor only to have the pump itself fail in a year or two.

Thanks again for the help.
    9000 Gallon In-Ground KrystalKrete Pool, Sta-Rite Posi*Flo II PTM-70 Cartridge Filter, Sta-Rite Centrifugal 1.5 HP Single Speed Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

connellyjs:
    Quote Originally Posted by cconnellyjs
    I am not sure why he installed a 1.5 HP pump. I am not real confident he knew what he was doing, so may just have purchased whatever the local pool store had available.
    Kinda what I expected. That scenario plays out often, unfortunately. Many pool owners have over-sized pumps due in part to the marketing mantra that more and/or bigger is better. Not so with pool pumps. An over-sized pump is like driving a dragster to the grocery store ...it burns a lot of energy for what you get in return. Not to mention it can stress the plumbing system.

With your pump being 18 years old, I would replace the entire unit (pump/motor). Otherwise you are risking what you are rightly concerned about: The pump failing soon after installing a new motor. The consensus among those that I have asked (other pool owners and those in the industry) is that the average expected life of a pump is around 10 years. Like most things, it will vary based on the environment it was exposed to and how it was used and cared for. But I know of no one who has had a pump last 18 years, so I think you got your $ worth. Plus, the new pumps incorporate the latest energy efficiency advances.

As for brands, I am partial to Pentair mainly due to their quietness and build quality. Even my energy-hog single-speed 1.5 HP Pentair WF-26 that I inherited from the previous owner is noticeably quieter than other brands of pumps that my friends/neighbors have. I would suggest going back to either a 1 HP unit or maybe even a 3/4 HP model. Here are a couple of Pentair Whisperflow models (all 2-speeds):
    • 1 HP: WFDS-4 (230 v), WFDS-24 (115 V)
      3/4 HP: WFDS-3 (115 V)

Here's a link where you can download various Pentair brochures/publications: http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owne...ction.php?s=42

Of course, there are other choices out there as well (Jandy and Haywood are two other well-known brands that I would look into), so I would ask and shop around a bit.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT

6. Back To Top    #6

What is the service factor on the current motor?

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

UnderWaterVanya - the service factor is 1.1.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by connellyjs
    My above ground pool pump is starting to get extremely loud, so I am looking to replace it.
    I would stick with an AG pump because they are not only less costly but also tend to be more efficient than the IG variety. But really, if the wet end is in good condition, you are far better off just replacing the motor and you could go with a two speed to help on the energy costs.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I think I am going to replace it with a Pentair Superflo 1HP 2-Speed Energy Efficient Pump (Model #340042). I believe that this model has a manual speed selector on the back to go from hi-speed to lo-speed. Is that correct? I don't really have a need to change the speed via timer, so a manual switch is perfect.

Thoughts? Thank you.

10. Back To Top    #10

connellyjs:

Quote Originally Posted by connellyjs
    My above ground pool pump is starting to get extremely loud...My pool is a 9000 gallon in-ground pool...
    I suspect there might be some confusion as to whether you have an above ground or an in-ground pool based on your initial post summarized above. I am assuming that you have a 9,000 gallon in-ground pool and my recommendations are based on that assumption.

I did some searching to determine whether the Pentair Superflo 1HP 2-Speed Energy Efficient Pump (Model #340042) has a manual speed selector switch on the unit itself and was not able to find anything conclusive. About as close as I came was this post: http://www.troublefreepool.com/help-...t55412-20.html. Unless someone familiar with this model chimes in, you may have to contact the manufacturer. OTOH, I do think you made the right decision to go with a 1 HP pump instead of a 1.5 HP.

Going forward, I would suggest adding your pool information to your signature. This way it will automatically appear on all your posts without having to add it each time. Here's how to do it: http://www.troublefreepool.com/what-...ns-t10341.html

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry for the confusion - yes, it is an in-ground pool. Thanks again for the help!

12. Back To Top    #12

My Superflo came with a switch. I "think" all the Superflo models do, but the Whisperflo do not.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!