i've got a few questions

TIMMAH

Jun 16, 2009
1, i just got my k-2106 test kit and i had a k-1004 test kit. both have the reading for bromine. now here is my problem. k-1004 with the color match gives me a reading of 4ppm bromine looking at the north sky standing in the shade. the k-2106 with the drop test give me 8.5 ppm bromine with the 25ml level and 17 drops.
is this normal? i take it i should beleve the drop test.

2, my spa has a small waterfall. the spa book say not to have the watefall running while the cover is on. the waterfall is below the top of the spa so the water wouldn't hit the cover. my guess is that the waterfall causes outgassing and that's why they don't want it on? the spa has a ozonator and wouldn't that make more outgassing then the waterfall? i'm using bromine tabs in a floater so i'm fighting ph drop. my thinking was the waterfall would help slow the ph drop. anyone run there waterfall with the cover on? anyone know why they don't want you to run it with the cover on?

3, CH level. my CH is up to 250+ and it hasn't been a month since my last water change. is there a point where ch is too high and i need to do a water change? i can drain some water and add water from my water softener. then i'm thinking of filling my tub next time with 50% water from my water softener.

thanks for your help.

Definitely, trust the drop test over the color match test.

If your PH is dropping consistently, raise the TA a little and if it gets really bad run the jets for a few minutes.

I wouldn't worry about CH too much unless it gets over 400 or your TA is running higher than usual.

thanks, i just tested again, my ta is dropping like a rock, i'm losing about .1 ph a day and about 10 ta every 2 days. off thing is it seems to slow down the lower the TA is. 80 ta with a ph of 7.5 and it's 70 TA, ph 7.4, 2 day's later and then 60 TA with a ph of 7.2 then with ta between 50-60 i get a 7.2 ph reading.

i'm about to put a tbsp of PH up in to bump up TA and PH.

i'm running 2 pucks in the floater with the opening the size of one puck. i'll try to cut that in half and see how much that helps the ph and ta drop.

You will need to add baking soda regularly to balance out the acidity of the tablets. If you find the right TA level to maintain, the PH should take care of it's self. If PH is consistently falling, raise your TA target. If PH is consistently raising, lower your TA target.

ya, i've been adding it every other day to keep my ta levels up. the drop test has really helped me to fine tune my bromin levels. it would be nice if they had one for the ph test too.

it looks like i need a ta between 70-80.
i might try borax soon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.