Draining Pool due to high CYA ; Gray moddling on UltraPoz

pcman

Feb 16, 2013
Just joined TFP today and am very impressed with the knowledge here. I seem to be a tri-chlor tab victim causing high CYA. I have a CYA of 150 (knowing hard to gauge > 100). I haven't added chlorine in any form for about 6 weeks - water very clear as water temp is 45 degrees . I'm having the pool drained and will be switching to liquid chlorine as much as possible in the coming summer. The question is whether I should have the ultra poz surface acid washed to get it back to the way it looked when new? Is this adviseable?

Re: Draining Pool due to high CYA ; Gray moddling on UltraPo

Welcome to tfp, pcman :wave:

pcman said:
The question is whether I should have the ultra poz surface acid washed to get it back to the way it looked when new? Is this adviseable?
I would think you could do an acid wash, though I am not familiar with your exact surface. Keep in mind that acid washes can take off scaling, but they also take some plaster too, shortening the overall life of the pool. Hopefully someone will be along soon that can answer you question :whip: Posting pictures of the scaling might not be a bad idea.

Re: Draining Pool due to high CYA ; Gray moddling on UltraPo

No need to drain your entire pool. Just calculate drain to get cYA down around 40 or so. I would suggest a 3/4 drain and go from there.

The question is whether I should have the ultra poz surface acid washed to get it back to the way it looked when new?
What does it look like now? If it is bugging you a lot then go ahead and acid wash it with the caveat that linen mentioned above. If it's not bothering you much, leave it alone. adjust your pH TA and CH accordingly and the scale may slowly dissolve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.