Acid wash

Nov 29, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I am draining my pool to upgrade all the plumbing to PVC (it is copper now and has air leaks).
The guys suggested an acid wash to clean the scale deposits on the plaster.
I hesitate doing this as i did not do any research on that, is this a good idea to do the acid wash?
I do have a lot of scale on my walls but i am concerned that the acid wash will harm the plaster.

18000 gallons in ground
CH800 (will go down to normal level after refilling)
Calculated ICS: 0.6

Also they are talking about doing a conditioner of the water when they refill the pool, what is that?

Acid washing always takes off a little good plaster along with the scale, and thus shortens the life of the plaster at least a little. Often enough when you have scaling it is worth doing anyway, especially if the scale is really bothering you. An acid wash requires draining, so if you are likely to do an acid wash at some point now is a good time, but if the scaling doesn't bother you there is no real need to do an acid wash at all.

Conditioner might mean any of several things. Possibilities include adding borates to improve the water feel. Adding CYA to help chlorine survive sunlight. Or just doing the routine adjustments of the various levels. My guess is that they mean borates, but it could easily be something else.

Thanks Jasonlion, I think I will pass on the acid wash , I do have some scale on the tiled upper border that i wanted to remove but I was thinking about removing this with a stone (which I already tested and works ok).
Work is in process an everything is going well, I will see about conditioning when it's time to refill, but I do not want them to put anything else than what the BBB method calls for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.