Water level dropping in February

Feb 16, 2013
We have a 21×42 AGP that lost 2/3 of its water last winter. We hired a pool service firm to open it then and tell us where it was leaking and if it needed a liner (we'd probably remove it, instead as the kid is grown). He told us that the liner was fine, but our old cover was letting water leak above the cover and evaporate. He also said that we should change from using three separate pillows (4 ft) to one 16 ftx4 ft pillow (one of our 4 ft pillows had deflated).

The pool was open all summer and the water level behavior was normal. We had the pool service firm close the pool using a single large pillow and new cover supplied by them. All was well until this month. Water level was steady. We could drain water regularly (although we never get it all off). This month the weather got colder and snowier, and we haven't been able to drain the cover. In addition, the large pillow shifted from the center of the pool to one side along the pool wall.

When we looked out yesterday morning (after not checking for a week or so, the water level was down 2 ft. The cover is stretched to its limit. We broke through the ice and are draining what we can.

Water level originally was below the Skimmer. Skimmer and return were blocked. No other openings to pool.

What could cause this behavior, and what can I do to correct it? Should I try to add water under the cover? The pool service firm has not responded to our messages.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barry

Bama Rambler said:
The water and ice most likely displaced the water in the pool. It's common to have that happen. You can refill it without any issues.

Thanks for the input. How did the water escape, though? I can see how rainwater and snow might have displaced enough water for it to rise from to the original level, and some or all of the excess could have leaked past the skimmer plate and out of the pool. But how did the top of the water level on top of the cover wind up maybe 18-24 inches below the bottom of the skimmer opening? Particularly considering that it was covered with a layer of snow/ice during this time. There are no openings below the skimmer and return (which are at about the same level).

Can it evaporate or sublime that quickly from the top in mostly sub-freezing temperatures?

Here is a picture of the pool showing how much the water level dropped. What could have caused this to happen other than a leak at or very near the bottom (which we rejected as a possibility in that it seemed to hold water just fine except for last winter and since February 1 this year. All summer, fall, and early winter the water level seemed steady.

Attachments

• 20130216_133251.jpg
    20130216_133251.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 127
Bama Rambler said:
I lose some water during the winter but not that much.

If the cover has a leak then you could be pumping off pool water along with rain water when you pump the cover off.

That explanation makes sense. Not sure if it fits my situation, though. The cover was brand new for this season, so it shouldn't have had a leak. And the problem really got bad around Feb 1 when the weather got cold and we got some snow. So the water was solid and I couldn't get it off. Only then did we see the pool level start to drop.

We will keep adding water into the pool below. And I'll keep trying to pump water from above the cover to below the cover, rather than pump water from above the cover onto the ground. I just need to stabilize things for another couple of months and then we can open it and look again for leaks.

Barry

Wow, and I thought my cover was stressed. It did not freeze mine over this year. I tossed my mag drive pump on the cover and left it all winter. That way if it froze over I can still pump it out from under the ice. But, mine doesn't freeze solid. Good luck, I can't wait to see where the water is going.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.