Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Check valve in chlorinator broke....replace it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Miami, FL

Check valve in chlorinator broke....replace it?

I recently installed an inline chlorinator similiar to the Hayward 200. I went to refill the tablets, and noticed the check valve inside the canister was broken off; half of the screw is still screwed in, and the rest broke off. It looks like this ... Aod3A4AlQ#

I wrote the seller, and he informed me that the check valve is to prevent backflow of chlorine to the filter and pump. Is that a bad thing? From the chlorinator to the filter I have about 3 to 4 feet of pvc. Will I hurt/damage the filter without this valve?

15,300 gallon inground pool
    Sta-rite cartridge filter
    Diamondbrite surface (i think. I am not original homeowner).
    1.5hp Hayward Super Pump
    Hayward Navigator Pro cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sunny SoCal

Re: Check valve in chlorinator broke....replace it?

For $13.00 .. probably the cheapest part of your pool... I would order one up and manually add chlorine until it shows up.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Check valve in chlorinator broke....replace it?

A broken chlorinator check valve will not instantly destroy anything, but it it will allow secondary damage to slowly build up. I'd get it fixed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School