Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intex UltraFrame 18' w/ original pump - like to replace pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex UltraFrame 18' w/ original pump - like to replace pump

I have an Intex UltraFrame 18' round pool. Let me say for the record, that I love it. I'm using the pump/filter combo that came with the pool and I've coupled it to the Intex SWG. I love the SWG, but I'm not a fan of the pump and I hate the type "A" filters. They're expensive (Intex expecs you to replace them every two weeks, but I just hose mine off) and clog up far too quickly. I also have a "Wanda the Whale" pool cleaner. When there is adequate flow, she cleans really well, but with a 1500 gph pump and a clog prone filter, she can be problematic at times.

I'd like a better pump and filter. I love the idea of DE, but I'm not willing to spend the kind of money needed for DE. I've been looking at sand filters and I've heard if you use Zeolite that they come close to the DE filters anyways. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this!) I found a Game SandPro 50 (1/2 hp, 2460 gph) at my local Leslie's and if I add a bag of Zeolite I can get out the door for $310. I'd like to know if anyone out there is running a GAME setup and what you think of it. I'd also like to hear from others, what are you guys running and why?

I should also note, that with a new pump, I plan on moving to a hard-plumbed system.

Thanks in advance guys!

--Jonathan
    19,000 IGP TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex UltraFrame 18' w/ original pump - like to replace

I don't recommend Zeolite. When it works people love it, but there are unusually high rates of reported problems.

Just about any of the pump/filter combos will be a large improvement over what you have. The larger of the two Intex sand filters is highly recommended.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

A simple sand filter will be a huge step up from the Intex cartridge. The extra microns are not something you are likely to notice coming from where you are.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Did u check out the intex sand filters? I've read some good reviews on them and i'm also planning switching to the 2950 gph modell
    Intex 15X48" /5300 galloms
    Intex 2650 sand filter
    Thru wall skimmer,
    FAS-DPD chlorine test kit K-2006
    Hard plumbed

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I purchased the mid-sized Intex sand filter last summer for $100. and was very satisfied with it. I have the 18'x48" ultra frame, and it kept the water Chrystal clear running an average of 4 hours per day, if I recall correctly.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

The intex 2650 pump and 16 inch sand filter combo is a excellent setup for your pool and all the fitting will connect.....remember intex uses their own thread and can be a p.i.t.a to hard plumb without some knowledge of plumbing, but i did mine and several others on here have also.....it is a excellent mod to your pool...and you can find the intex pump/filter combo for around 225 dollars.....good luck
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

7. Back To Top    #7

The consensus seems to lean to the Intex 2650 filter so that's where I'll go. Its a lot bigger than I'll need, but that also seems to be a theme for filters, go big!

Last question I guess is Zeolite or sand? JasonLion doesn't seem to like Zeolite because of a higher rate of problems. I was only looking at it because of it'll supposedly filter "everything" out of your pool. I'm perfectly happy to stick with sand, but is there a type I should go with? #20? Is there a better number?

Last year with my crappy type "A" cartridge, the pool began to take on a white cloudy appearance. I tossed in Leslie's "Ultra Bright". The pool cleared up quickly, but I'm hoping I won't have to do so with sand. Thoughts?

Thanks!

--Jonathan

8. Back To Top    #8

I was also wondering the same thing about the sand ?? i'm also gonna go with the 2650 modell and i have a 15x48" and i want to hard plumb it
    Intex 2650 sand filter
    Thru wall skimmer,
    Hard plumbed

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jspeacock1978
    The consensus seems to lean to the Intex 2650 filter so that's where I'll go. Its a lot bigger than I'll need, but that also seems to be a theme for filters, go big!
    It is not bigger than you need. Our recommendation for your pool, assuming it is 18' X52", then your volume is ~7300 which we would recommend a minimum 1.4 sq. ft. sand filter. The intex 2650 is 1.4 sq. ft.

Also, do not buy the unit that has the saltwater chlorine generator (swg) attached. If at some point you want to go swg, then buy it seperatly.

Last question I guess is Zeolite or sand? JasonLion doesn't seem to like Zeolite because of a higher rate of problems. I was only looking at it because of it'll supposedly filter "everything" out of your pool. I'm perfectly happy to stick with sand, but is there a type I should go with? #20? Is there a better number?
    I too would not recommend the zeolite. That filter with standard pool sand will be a huge improvement over you current useless cartridge. I use pool sand and my water is crystal clear.

Last year with my crappy type "A" cartridge, the pool began to take on a white cloudy appearance. I tossed in Leslie's "Ultra Bright". The pool cleared up quickly, but I'm hoping I won't have to do so with sand. Thoughts?
    You will not need the "ultra bright" with properly maintained pool chemistry (or any other magic elixir). Post your test numbers when you get the pool filled and we can help. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/what-...ns-t10341.html
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

FILTER:
    My pool is an 18'x52" at ~7000. I feel even better now that the 2650 is the unit to buy. It'll be a few months until the pool is "open", but I'm going to pick one up within the next 60 days. I'm already using the Intex SWG so I won't buy one attached to the filter, but I'm in IT. I hate when gadgets are glued together. Its always more of a headache in the end! Looking for the separate units is good advice though.

ZEOLITE:
    Two strikes and Zeolite is out! I find it amusing that Zeolite is "supposed" to be the thing to buy (way better than sand), but I can't find anyone online who is in love with it.

CLOUDY WATER:
    I usually take my water to Leslie's once / week when the pool IS open and with their help I've been very happy with the pool. Its usually very clean and because of the salt system, I find I have to add small amounts of chemicals about twice/year (usually just a bit of dry acid). We only noticed the cloudy water when we were in the pool 4-6 hours on both Sat & Sun and about an hour each Monday - Friday. When the guys at Leslie's tested the water, I believe everything was spot-on, and one treatment of "Ultra Bright" fixed the problem. If it happens this year with the sand filter, I'll post numbers before I dose the pool. I love running with so few chemicals. I think its healthier and cheaper!

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

--Jonathan

11. Back To Top    #11

I wanted to let anyone who cares that the 2500gph pump with Unicell B sized replacement cartridges work far far better than any Intex branded cart it's not even funny. I bought mine for around $15 apiece and simply switched them out when flow slowed down. Went from replacing Intex every 5-6 days to 12-14 days with Unicell branded carts.

After removing them, stuck them in 5 gallon bucket with lid and 1/4 cup bleach and capful of wisk detergent (hose off before and after plunge in bucket), then soak in bucket with 1/4 cup bleach. I had three filters and rotated them. Really only needed two.

If you don't want to screw with sand, DE or anything else. This is an excellent alternative using stock intex stuff with superior Unicell filter material. The quality/build difference was amazing the first time I used them.

Bob E.

12. Back To Top    #12

I found a 2650 gph Intex sand filter last summer on craigslist. We have a 20 x 48 Intex pool. It works great...our water was crystal clear with only running it 4 hours a day. We used pool sand in ours. Best move we made was upgrading to a sand filter.
    20x4 Intex Ultra Frame Round, 2650gph sand filter and loving it!!

13. Back To Top    #13

I have the G.A.M.E. SandPro 75 3/4 hp on my intex ultra frame 26' x 52" 14667 gal .
    It works like a champ. I can aim the return toward the side and the water makes the circle around the pool or aim it toward the center and it will blow the debris on bottom center out toward the sides so I can get it out with a net. I also have the intex SWCG . Love that too. I currently have the swg timer set for 12 hrs. I ran it for 3 days 12 hrs each day as recommended by intex. Smelled chlorine (which is very unusual), it was up to 10.5 ppm (too high). All this just to say that this pump/filter and the swg are more than sufficient. The pump/filter and the swg are troopers! I purchased these items due to budget constraints but I am very pleased with them.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

14. Back To Top    #14

Help plss, last year when i closed down the pool i stored everything together in a shed but yesterday when i went to check everything out i noticed that all the plastic skimmer parts had turn a brown collor.

I tried soaking them in bleach but nothing happens.

anybody that knows what it could be and if there is solution to remove brown collor pls help?????
    Intex 2650 sand filter
    Thru wall skimmer,
    Hard plumbed

15. Back To Top    #15

If you can get some Magic Erasers that might take it off. It all depends on how deep the staining is. You can also try some crushed vitamin C tablets make a paste and rub on it and see if that lightens them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Do know what might have caused it?????
    Intex 2650 sand filter
    Thru wall skimmer,
    Hard plumbed

17. Back To Top    #17

Without seeing a pic of it, I can't tell.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok I'l try to post one today
    Intex 2650 sand filter
    Thru wall skimmer,
    Hard plumbed

19. Back To Top    #19

[attachment=0:2gedzi8t]image.jpg[/attachment:2gedzi8t]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex 2650 sand filter
    Thru wall skimmer,
    Hard plumbed

20. Back To Top    #20

It's hard to tell what it may be. Try a Magic Eraser on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast