Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Some nasties aren't killed for several days in a chlorine pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Some nasties aren't killed for several days in a chlorine pool

Well not to upset the apple cart, but I read that some nasties aren't killed for several days in a chlorine pool they are somewhat resistant for a while.

My wife a few years ago took the kids to water park and she got a bad staff infection on her arm from a mild abrasion of a surf raft, nothing is perfect I guess

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ECOsmarte pool

I think cryptosporidium is the only thing that lasts in chlorine...rare though. As for the waterpark, either the infection came from something else or there was no FC in the water. Staph can't survive in water with enough FC.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: ECOsmarte pool

Well her doctor said staff was common in public pools???????

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Some nasties aren't killed for several days in a chlorin

While staph might be common in some areas of of some public pool facilities, I would tend to suspect showers, but it is quite unlikely to be spread through the water since normal chlorine levels will kill it quickly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Some nasties aren't killed for several days in a chlorin

Cryptosporidium or any other pathogen which form cysts are resistant to chlorine but will die in time. Higher concentrations of FC and ozone speed the process up. Chlorine kills staph aureus (including methicillin resistant staph) in mere seconds.

ETA: Properly chlorinated pool water eliminates the staph problem in the water but it won't do much on fomites such as noodles, rafts, boards and other floatie toys. Surfaces such as those require higher concentrations of chlorine to disinfect. A 10% bleach solution would work to disinfect those items.