evaporation or leak revisited

boon

Feb 15, 2013
Here's my history:
Bought this house (pool newbie) in west-central Florida in mid-November 2012. 15' x 30' pool is under a lanai and marcite(?) coated. Not certain of pool age when speaking with previous owner. Perhaps > 20 years. Pool wall has had a crack repair. January/February has been warmer than normal. I've been tracking the water loss and it seems to be a little greater that 1" inch per week. My imagination tells me it is gradually increasing. Some pool people tell me it is normal; others say I have a leak but wait it out until Florida rainy season. February 14th it rained all day---most rain in some time. This morning the 15th of Feb., I see there are earth worms near the drain(?) in the deep end. Is this where I have a leak somewhere deep under the pool bottom? I've done the "home-made" leak test by dribbling food coloring near the jet ports and repaired crack but no results. Haven't checked the drain though. Any input/ideas would be greatly appreciated before I start throwing money at this problem. Would certainly hate to have water leaking under the foundation of my house. :roll:

You may not have a leak at all...1"/wk is not much. If you haven't already, try the "bucket test", which is to place a bucket on your steps filled to the same level as the pool, then watch to see how quickly the water in the bucket evaporates relative to the water in the pool.

Thanks, but what about the worms near the drain? They could only be coming in through a drain leak since the pool outside is pretty much sealed with screened lanai. My guess is the pump pulls the water through the drain (?) and skimmer, up through the solar panels (if valve open), and back through the jets into the pool again. I guess I need a good pool education.

I believe worms around the main drain are a pretty common occurrence for many pools and do not indicate a leak source. Worms have their ways of getting into seemingly sealed off areas, fall into the pool, keep crawling downhill and finally drown. My pool isn't sealed off but around the drain is where I always find them. I think they make most of their migrations at night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.