Liquid Chlorine / Bleach effects

Apr 2, 2007
Hi,

I bought two jugs of liquid chlorine this weekend at Leslie's to shock my pool and the salesperson told me that using this much liquid chlorine would increase the pH. Therefore, I had to use muriatic acid to offset the pH increase. I have looked through various posts regarding BBB and there is no mention of this.

Can someone set the record straight for me? Thanks in advance.

It may temporarily cause the pH to rise, but it won't have much effect that lasts. It may cause the pH reading to change if you add it all, but that is a result of high chlorine levels interfering with the pH test, not an actual pH change. Most likely he was trying to sell you acid.

Well, I would not listen to a salesperson that is for sure. Now, having muriatic acid on hand is not a bad thing though. Do what you have to do to the chlorine, then test for the ph and see what happened. I doubt that there will be an effect though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.