Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine / Bleach effects

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine / Bleach effects

I bought two jugs of liquid chlorine this weekend at Leslie's to shock my pool and the salesperson told me that using this much liquid chlorine would increase the pH. Therefore, I had to use muriatic acid to offset the pH increase. I have looked through various posts regarding BBB and there is no mention of this.

Can someone set the record straight for me? Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana
    It may temporarily cause the pH to rise, but it won't have much effect that lasts. It may cause the pH reading to change if you add it all, but that is a result of high chlorine levels interfering with the pH test, not an actual pH change. Most likely he was trying to sell you acid.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Morris, IL
    Well, I would not listen to a salesperson that is for sure. Now, having muriatic acid on hand is not a bad thing though. Do what you have to do to the chlorine, then test for the ph and see what happened. I doubt that there will be an effect though.

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD
    This is just one of the many myths about bleach that are popular with pool stores that don't sell bleach. The PH will go up a bit and then it will come down again, leaving it where it started.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School