Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preferred order of testing water

1. Back To Top    #1

Preferred order of testing water

Is there a preferred order to testing and then adjusting your water.

Pool School recommends testing the pH daily and the TA only weekly..

But I thought I read someplace to adjust your TA before adjusting pH because of the affect TA has on pH.

I just ran my first test yesterday (I was really just playing around) but the values I got back were interesting.

I didn't run the full gambit of tests.. From memory the values were
    Water temp was 39 deg
    pH 8.2 - since the water is so cold this was kinda expected
    FC .5
    TC 2.5
    CC 0
    TA 160 this is the one that surprised me

So I'll re-measure this evening.. and run the full series.. but I was wondering if there was a preferred order.. and when I do start to adjust the pool what to start with
    since it seems that one parameter drives another
    Escondido Ca [*]~23000 gallon plaster pool built in the 70's[*]Pentair VF Pump running 10hrs at 1800rpm getting and estimated 35-40 GPM thruput[*]Sta-Rite Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preferred order of testing water

Chlorine is always the priority with pH next.

TA is primarily adjusted because of the way it affects pH. TA adjustment isn't required often, and is generally a much slower process than pH adjustment, though at times you need to know them both because they interact and some chemicals affect both, and some one more than the other.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by BitViper
    FC .5
    TC 2.5
    CC 0
    This is impossible when tested accurately. TC=FC+CC

What test kit did you use to do the above measurements?

For chlorine, the FAS-DPD test is the best one. It measures FC and then CC. The OTO test measures TC and in general is really only useful to see if you have chlorine, not how much.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Quote Originally Posted by BitViper
    FC .5
    TC 2.5
    CC 0
    This is impossible when tested accurately. TC=FC+CC

What test kit did you use to do the above measurements?

For chlorine, the FAS-DPD test is the best one. It measures FC and then CC. The OTO test measures TC and in general is really only useful to see if you have chlorine, not how much.
    As I said I was reporting from memory... obviously a bad memory.. I'll post actual values this weekend..

Sorry for the confusion... and misdirection
    Escondido Ca [*]~23000 gallon plaster pool built in the 70's[*]Pentair VF Pump running 10hrs at 1800rpm getting and estimated 35-40 GPM thruput[*]Sta-Rite Cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I would suggest adjusting TA first, then pH, then Chlorine. Since the first two can effect the effectiveness of Chlorine you always want to lower your pH first before adding Chlorine.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by PoolsPlusMI
    I would suggest adjusting TA first, then pH, then Chlorine. Since the first two can effect the effectiveness of Chlorine you always want to lower your pH first before adding Chlorine.
    The original question was about testing order, which should be chlorine and PH first as JohnT mentioned.

For adjusting order, the only time you would want to adjust TA first is if it is very very low, say below 50.

TA never has any direct effect on the effectiveness of chlorine. PH does have an effect, but that effect is small and can be ignored unless the PH is way out of range or you are managing an indoor pool with zero CYA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

YEA
    What Jason said BOYEEEEE!!!!!!!!.......lol
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all