Spa Moisturizers?

Jul 14, 2011
Was going to buy gentle spa, but no local dealer, and just read that it is not Ph neutural anymore anyway. Was going to buy Borax and MAcid and do it myself. That being said, what mositurizers are safe to put in a hot tub (e.g. Avon Skin-so-soft, etc.)?

New Tub, 550 gallons.
Still working on balancing the TA and PH using the method described here. Filled with well water, so my CH is over 300. I got the TA down to a 100 from 300, but the PH still rises over 8 pretty quickly. Pool calculator says to get the TA down to 70 or 80.

Thanks.

Welcome to tfp, Iowamod20 :wave:

Iowamod20 said:
Was going to buy gentle spa, but no local dealer, and just read that it is not Ph neutural anymore anyway. Was going to buy Borax and MAcid and do it myself.
You could also buy boric acid from places such as dudadiesel.com. Then you would only be adding one thing to the water.

Iowamod20 said:
what mositurizers are safe to put in a hot tub (e.g. Avon Skin-so-soft, etc.)?
Why are you adding moisturizers to the tub? If you mean on your skin, I personally find no need for it in a properly maintained tub. The oils, etc. can be broken down with chlorine, but it can take awhile, so I would avoid it.

Iowamod20 said:
So, I asked the question of what moisturizers are they using?
I don't know...

Looking at the msds for "ProTeam Gentle Spa", it lists "sodium tetraborate pentahydrate", which is basically "more concentrated" borax. The msds also lists "proprietary ingredient". This might partially refer to the "Fresh fragrance and moisturizers added" they list on the product page. Since they do not list anywhere what it is, then I personally would not use it. My recommendation would be to stay away from adding any fragrances, lotions, oils, or tints to the tub. Adding them just has the potential to complicate (foaming, etc.) caring for the water chemistry.

Howdy Fine Folk. Haven't been around for a while. Still "kicking."

I've had spas for 30 years using just about all methods of sanitizing. Past few years using mosty 3 step bromine, in stand alone 500 gal spa, with Borax at 50-60. On the occasion that someone has put any of the "moisturizers" into our bromine spa, over past few years (dug out of back of cabinet from years ago use - pre TFP) we get clouding of water and all kinds of issues I don't want to deal with. I'm over 60 yr and my DH is going on 78 so, yes, we have old-timers' dry skin. Using Borax has totally eliminated our need for any "moisturizers" in spa water and most usually no body moisturizers needed showering. Okay, a bath soak in Aveeno moisturizer, once a week or so is very soothing and hitting a few dry areas with moisturizer is good; for my face for sure.

"Moisturizers" don't play nice with Bromine but do better with Chlorine only. Since using Bromine (and no "moisturizers") I have had no cloudy water ever, no foaming, etc.

The only reason we don't use Borax in our chlorine pool is because the dogs swim and drink so much.

Hugs, GeekGranny

In fact we never shower before using spa. ( Slow Circulation/filtering is on 24/7) And we even do most of our exfoliating in spa. I do keep several filters that I change out regularly like 1-4 times a week depending on use. It's usually just the two of us but occasionally a dog will sneak in. My Moe Labradoodle bypasses the blocked off steps and jumps over the edge, 48", if we forget to tell him not to do it.

Hugs, Geekgranny

IMG_3218SpaCrew-1-1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.