pump recomendation for new build

vj

Jan 2, 2013
looking for specific pump recommendation. The pool specs are: 13000 gallon free form in ground with salt water generator no water features and no spa. I probably will be going solar in the next couple years. We are located in tampa fl with electric rates not near as bad as the west coast.

Our builder recommends 2" sch 40 pvc throughout. For equipment: Sta rite vs3050 variable speed pump, Starite 150 sq ft cartridge filter and ic 40 salt water generator.

The builder will allow me to purchase the equipment independent of his recommendations.

My question is on the pump, Is this pump overkill? If no, is this specific pump the latest in technology for a $1000 pump, am I better off with a 3/4 or 1hp two speed which is less expensive. One of my main concerns is noise levels since the pump will be fairly close to the pool.
Thanx vince

Is this pump overkill?
Pretty much. You will not get a return on investment in forever because of your pool size and your inexpensive electrical rates.
am I better off with a 3/4 or 1hp two speed which is less expensive.
Yes. I would suggest a 1hp 2-speed. Only caveat is if you don't like the noise level of the 2-speed on low, you are stuck......the VS gives you more options.

Well, the Pentair Superflo 1HP 2-speed is what I have and works fine with solar. Not sure that is matters, but it is a 230V motor that has a switch on it to select the speed. In the summer when I am running the solar (currently manually selected), I have it on high speed and in the winter when not running solar I leave it on low speed.

I am sure there are equivalent Hayward and Jandy pumps that are good as well. But, looks like your other equipment is Pentair/Starite, so sticking with that means a longer warranty.

I would recommend two changes. I'd go with the 1hp 2-speed as recommended and I'd up the filter to a 200 ft² model. Going to a larger filter will give you slower flow thru (i.e. less head loss) and longer times between cleaning.

Are planning to have solar on a roof?

The VS is a good option for solar because you can fine tune the speed for the height of the solar for optimum energy savings. Plus, the incremental cost of a VS is not that much compared to the cost of a new pool so for new pools, I think a VS is a good option if you can get a good price. Check into state rebates as well for VS pumps.

However, the 3050 is an old pump model and outdated. I would get the newer version, the Intelliflo VS 011018 or the Intellipro P6E6VS4H-209L. Both have built in timers and a few more features at the same price point as the 3050.

Also, there is a new Intelliflo i1 which is a smaller VS pump, uses the Whisperflo 1 HP wet end, and it may have a better price point than the larger brothers.

mas985 said:
Also, there is also a new Intelliflo i1 which is a smaller VS pump, uses the Whisperflo 1 HP wet end, and it may have a better price point than the larger brothers.
I really like this! Looks like it's $200 to $300 less than the larger ones. If that proves to be true it'll definitely be worth looking into.

Just curious, why the IC40 if your pool is 13k gallons? And that's just curiosity, I am not implying it's too big, but since your pooll is 13k gallons I wonder what logic there is to using IC40 vs IC20. Thanks.

btolley said:
Just curious, why the IC40 if your pool is 13k gallons? And that's just curiosity, I am not implying it's too big, but since your pooll is 13k gallons I wonder what logic there is to using IC40 vs IC20. Thanks.

Take a look at this current thread: new-swg-t55688.html

Basically, being over-sized should make the cell last longer ... thus off-setting the extra cost of the larger cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.