Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pool build Oklahoma

1. Back To Top    #1

new pool build Oklahoma

Hello everyone,

We are about to build a pool. My husband and I are trying to decide where to put our pool. The question is to center off of an existing patio and remove 3 large trees that shade our house or to have it a little of that same patio and save the trees. THe back of our house faces west and we have very large windows in the back so the trees do provide a great deal of shade.

Thanks for any input.

Sandra
    16x36 29000gallon in ground, plaster pool, Hayward sand filter, Ecostar pump, with Steiner pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: new pool build Oklahoma

I can tell you this much....having 3 large trees next to your pool might be an issue. Leaves and pollen will fall into it...so you might consider that.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Agreed, trees = debris in the pool and debris in the pool = effort to remove.
    Trees can also be a desireable roosting or perching spot for birds who can then hang around your pool and put droppings into it.
    Trees also limit the amount of sun reaching the water and that may impact your enjoyment if your water temps aren't what you'd like.

Personally, my recommendation is always: cut down and remove trees....their just trees, and it's always easier before the pool is done.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone for the input. That makes a lot of sense. I am just having a hard time with cutting them down.

Will post photos once we get started.
    16x36 29000gallon in ground, plaster pool, Hayward sand filter, Ecostar pump, with Steiner pump

5. Back To Top    #5

How far from the pool are the trees? Although trees do make pools messy, some are horribly messy while others aren't bad at all. Depends on the kind of tree really. Trees can also make the difference between comfortable water in August versus 98 degree uncomfortable water in August.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    How far from the pool are the trees? Although trees do make pools messy, some are horribly messy while others aren't bad at all. Depends on the kind of tree really. Trees can also make the difference between comfortable water in August versus 98 degree uncomfortable water in August.
    I am with you scubasandra, hard to cut down our trees.

Any thoughts on a Bradford Pear and a Autumn Maple? In the fall, I know they will drop lots of leaves but am thinking the pool will be closed by then. During the normal season, would these be horribly messy?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul
    Sterling Steel IGP lagoon 21' x 35' w/6' deep end, Pentair 5g LED lights (x2), Pentair Landscape LED light, Pentiar IntelliFlo VS pump, Pentair 420 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC20, 4 gas Tiki Torches, LoopLoc Ultra Loc II, Deck Jets(x3), Raised Planter Bed with 3 Pentair bronze sheer decents, AquaBot Breeze 4WD, Pentair Legend II

7. Back To Top    #7

I tend not to worry about the trees. I have lots of oak trees that drop tons of leaves and it's just a once a day job to keep the skimmer basket clear so I don't consider that bad at all. Our pool is still open when the leaves are falling and I just make sure to have the pump running enough to skim them so too many don't sink. I usually vacuum once or twice a week.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I tend not to worry about the trees. I have lots of oak trees that drop tons of leaves and it's just a once a day job to keep the skimmer basket clear so I don't consider that bad at all. Our pool is still open when the leaves are falling and I just make sure to have the pump running enough to skim them so too many don't sink. I usually vacuum once or twice a week.
    Thanks!
    Paul
    Sterling Steel IGP lagoon 21' x 35' w/6' deep end, Pentair 5g LED lights (x2), Pentair Landscape LED light, Pentiar IntelliFlo VS pump, Pentair 420 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC20, 4 gas Tiki Torches, LoopLoc Ultra Loc II, Deck Jets(x3), Raised Planter Bed with 3 Pentair bronze sheer decents, AquaBot Breeze 4WD, Pentair Legend II

9. Back To Top    #9

The trees are about 4 ft away from where the pool will go. They are oak trees. I had a small above ground pool up last year and it seemed like the worst time for debris was after rain and of course in the fall. I was cleaning it about once a week and more often the less the kids were in it. The little pump and skimmer on that pook was not very good. I imagine it will be a whole new ballgame with the inground pool.
    I really think I will leave the trees and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the information.

10. Back To Top    #10

You do know that the roots extend out to where the drip line of the canopy is?

Is the pool going to be 4 ft away from the trunk? I would think twice about even attempting digging a pool that close to an oak tree.
    At best, you'll probably kill the tree.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah...that's too close. If the tree did somehow survive, the roots would destroy everything as it continued to grow.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden