Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help making a decision with a new pool build

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help making a decision with a new pool build

I currently have 2 bids that I'm working with. There is a 1200.00 difference between both of them but money is not a deciding factor. The difference both of them is:
    1. 2.5 and 3 or 1.5 and 2 plumbing. The company with the bigger piping claims that the larger pipe size will increase water hydraulics, better water flow and less noise. Is this true is there a benefit with this?

2. Pebble Sheen or Stonescapes Mini Pebble. Here is the info i received. "The Quality of the trowelled finish and Warranty for Genuine Pebble Sheen is the major difference. Pebble Sheen can only be installer by a Certified Installer . There are only 2 in the Valley. Stonescapes can be installed by anyone. Warranty for Pebble Sheen is Lifetime and Stonescapes only has Limited Warranty from Installer." Is there really a difference between both, which is better?

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help making a decision with a new pool build

Welcome to tfp, AZhusker

2.5" and 3" inch may be overkill and the 1.5" and 2" are on the small side. Post some details and we can be more specific...pool volume, water features, hot tub or not, etc.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

pool volume, water features, hot tub or not, etc.
    size of your pump as well.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

We are building a 80' perimeter play pool. The deeped of the pool will be 4'-4.5'-4'. There will be 2 water features which are 2'x2'x2' towers with 30" scuppers. No hot tub. The pump is a Sta-rite Intellipro variable speed HD pump.

What is your opinion between pebble sheen and stonescapes?

5. Back To Top    #5

What they said is true; Pebblesheen can only be installed by certified folks, and anyone can buy stonescapes. That doesn't mean you won't get a great, long lasting installation of the latter, nor does it absolutely guarantee a good installation of the former. There's not much difference between the products themselves, you're just buying some amount of confidence that you'll get a better install.

Having excessively large pipe won't cause any problems, but having pipe that is too small can.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

The guy who did my stonescapes said that only certified installers could offer a stonescapes warranty. He was certified and I just registered my warranty. I agree that workmanship on the surface is make/break. I got my guy via solid references.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the information. I just make the right decision with such a large investment..

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by AZhusker
    Thanks for the information. I just make the right decision with such a large investment..
    yep, it's a big nut... nice to have experience here to draw upon. Good luck.
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by AZhusker
    Pebble Sheen can only be installer by a Certified Installer . There are only 2 in the Valley.
    Actually, there are 3. Just go to the PT website and select the locate a builder/installer. There are 3 listed in the valley, but one is a PB so I guess technically there are 2 installers. Just be careful of the word "Pebble". Lots of builders do their own and call it something similiar but it's not Pebble Tec, i.e. Pebble Radiance. I'm not saying it is no good, but just know what you are getting.

11. Back To Top    #11

Best to check the website for installers. Many builders may offer Pebble Tec, but they will sub out the work to one of the installers ... and add a markup. Might be cheaper to talk to the installers ... That is what I did when we refinished our pool.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!