Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE filter and SWG - any issue

1. Back To Top    #1

DE filter and SWG - any issue

I am relocating and the new house has a nice pool with DE filter and tablet feeder and heater. I want to convert to SWG as that is what I had/have in my other home now.
    Is there anything special I need to know about using the DE filter and this? My other pool was cartridge filters. The builder here quoted $2K for turnkey conversion which seems ridiculously high for adding an SWG so I suspect he plans to do more and wondered what it might be....hasn't explained it yet.
    thanks
    11,000 gal + overflow spa, IG gunnite, Pentair 48FNS DE filter, Hayward SP3210X15 pump, CompuPool CPSC36 Chlorine generator, pool valet w/5 zones, Pentair LP heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE filter and SWG - any issue

Some older DE filters were Stainless rather than plastic - is that involved here or is this a fairly modern DE filter?

I don't know of anything that is incompatible between the DE filter and the SWG.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Current setup
    1) 1.5 HP Whisperflow Pool Pump

2) 48 FNS+ D.E. Pentair Filter

3) Rainbow 300 Chlorinator

4) heater, LP I believe

5) pop-up pool valets

11K gallon gunnite pool by Hamlin Pools in McAllen, TX

I presume the $2K turnkey involves more than just the cell generator....what, I'm not sure. What in the world would that be? I 'm used to the Jandy....
    11,000 gal + overflow spa, IG gunnite, Pentair 48FNS DE filter, Hayward SP3210X15 pump, CompuPool CPSC36 Chlorine generator, pool valet w/5 zones, Pentair LP heater

4. Back To Top    #4

As UWV said, no problems using DE with a swg. An appropriate sized swg (like the jandy apure1400) would run you ~$900 bucks online, so it seems the pb is charging about $1000 for the install. I would ask for details.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

One issue to keep in mind. As you backwash your filter, you're dumping out salt, so it must be replaced to maintain correct salt levels.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com