pipe size

Well the pump will be located 30' from the pool it is about 5700 gallons,

If the pool is not supposed to turn more than once in 6 hours or in this case 1,000 gal an hour I thought 1.5 might be big enough.

How do I calculate the correct pipe size?

I read 80gpm on 1.5"
125gpm on 2"

Nova13 said:
I read 80gpm on 1.5"
125gpm on 2"
From Hydraulics 101...to keep the flow rate below 6 ft/sec, 1.5" pipe should have a maximum of 38 gpm and 2" pipe should have a maximum of 63 gpm.
Nova13 said:
If the pool is not supposed to turn more than once in 6 hours or in this case 1,000 gal an hour I thought 1.5 might be big enough.
Is this a nsp requirement? I think you will have a hard time moving water at that low flow rate with conventional pool pumps...a variable speed might work...though they are pricey.

I have a 1.5hp single speed I want to use, but about 30-35gpm will be diverted to solar.

The balance to the pool, don't care about the pipe cost difference just want what will work best.

based on those flow rates I need 2" it sounds like

Looking at those pump flow rates maybe I should just sell the 1.5HP,

Since it's kinda a small pool maybe a 3/4HP to do the pool and a 1/2hp for solar.

What about that idea?

I need about 30-35gpm for solar on a story roof 7 panels @ 4gpm each plus the loos of plumbing

Is your solar a separate loop from pool? Most of the people I have read about use the same pump for both solar and pool. Also I am petty unclear but my impression is that you don't lose flow rate in a simple linear number per panel... You have a certain amount of head that gets added by your solar which impacts overall flow rates.

Might be good to look into 2 speed pumps also.

Sent via Tapatalk...

I use a 1hp 2 speed with my solar. I run on high when I divert to the solar and low when I do not want solar ... like in the winter. A 2 speed would be a cheaper route than having 2 pumps both initially and fit electricity.

As far as pipe size, bigger is better as you will have lower head loss and thus higher flow rates.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with JL.

Nova13 said:
Also recommended a R175316 ½ HP SeaFlow 230V I found one at $485.
That looks like it is likely a Pentair superflo model: SF-NI-1/2FE. If it is, it is overpiced compared to other online sources, one of which is: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/superflopumps.htm?a= R|102.

I too would probably still go for a two speed, and run on low most of the time for the nsp. Maybe something like the Pentair superflo 2-speed 341111 (SF-N2-3/4A), see: http://pentairpool.com/pool-owner/products/pumps-inground-superflo-pumps-165.htm. Might be had for less than $500.

You want the 1 HP Superflo 2 speed. SF-N2-1A - 230v

It will produce about 70 GPM on high and 35 GPM on low for typical 2" plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.