Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pipe size

1. Back To Top    #1

pipe size

I see pools using 2" and some using 1.5" runs to and from the pool to the pump.

Is there a standard or formula which to use?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pipe size

It depends on the water flow rates and pipe length. For most in-ground pools, I would advise against 1.5 inch pipe.

3. Back To Top    #3

Well the pump will be located 30' from the pool it is about 5700 gallons,

If the pool is not supposed to turn more than once in 6 hours or in this case 1,000 gal an hour I thought 1.5 might be big enough.

How do I calculate the correct pipe size?

I read 80gpm on 1.5"
    125gpm on 2"

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Nova13
    I read 80gpm on 1.5"
    125gpm on 2"
    From Hydraulics 101...to keep the flow rate below 6 ft/sec, 1.5" pipe should have a maximum of 38 gpm and 2" pipe should have a maximum of 63 gpm.
    If the pool is not supposed to turn more than once in 6 hours or in this case 1,000 gal an hour I thought 1.5 might be big enough.
    Is this a nsp requirement? I think you will have a hard time moving water at that low flow rate with conventional pool pumps...a variable speed might work...though they are pricey.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a 1.5hp single speed I want to use, but about 30-35gpm will be diverted to solar.

The balance to the pool, don't care about the pipe cost difference just want what will work best.

based on those flow rates I need 2" it sounds like

6. Back To Top    #6

Looking at those pump flow rates maybe I should just sell the 1.5HP,

Since it's kinda a small pool maybe a 3/4HP to do the pool and a 1/2hp for solar.

What about that idea?

I need about 30-35gpm for solar on a story roof 7 panels @ 4gpm each plus the loos of plumbing

7. Back To Top    #7

Is your solar a separate loop from pool? Most of the people I have read about use the same pump for both solar and pool. Also I am petty unclear but my impression is that you don't lose flow rate in a simple linear number per panel... You have a certain amount of head that gets added by your solar which impacts overall flow rates.

Might be good to look into 2 speed pumps also.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I think the two pump idea won't work, I'm going to look at selling 1.5hp jacuzzi and sizing out a new 3/4hp pump maybe a 1/2hp

9. Back To Top    #9

I use a 1hp 2 speed with my solar. I run on high when I divert to the solar and low when I do not want solar ... like in the winter. A 2 speed would be a cheaper route than having 2 pumps both initially and fit electricity.

As far as pipe size, bigger is better as you will have lower head loss and thus higher flow rates.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Spoke to tech support at lifeguard,

He said to go 2"

Also recommended a R175316 HP SeaFlow 230V I found one at $485.

Any place I should try for a better price?

11. Back To Top    #11

You will be much better off with a two speed pump, which can be found around/below that price.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

I agree with JL.

Also recommended a R175316 HP SeaFlow 230V I found one at $485.
    That looks like it is likely a Pentair superflo model: SF-NI-1/2FE. If it is, it is overpiced compared to other online sources, one of which is: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/super...htm?a=%20R|102.

I too would probably still go for a two speed, and run on low most of the time for the nsp. Maybe something like the Pentair superflo 2-speed 341111 (SF-N2-3/4A), see: http://pentairpool.com/pool-owner/pr...-pumps-165.htm. Might be had for less than $500.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

Well what 1/2HP pump is 220V with 2" in/out in two speed about 30/60 gpm.

Under say $500

14. Back To Top    #14

Well what 1/2HP pump is 220V with 2" in/out in two speed about 30/60 gpm.

Under say $500
    The one I pointed you to above includes 2" external slip fitting unions. One place from googling is $450 shipped:http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com/pent...ndpoolpump.htm (I have not bought from this store). I would guess it is available other places too.

15. Back To Top    #15

I see that but the specs are
    Voltage: 115
    Full Load Amps: 14.6/4.7

I was trying to find 220v at about 6amps max

16. Back To Top    #16

You want the 1 HP Superflo 2 speed. SF-N2-1A - 230v

It will produce about 70 GPM on high and 35 GPM on low for typical 2" plumbing.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

17. Back To Top    #17

oops sorry about missing that...mas has got you covered

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    You want the 1 HP Superflo 2 speed. SF-N2-1A - 230v

It will produce about 70 GPM on high and 35 GPM on low for typical 2" plumbing.
    Yup. That is what I said too
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

I looked at the flow curves, looks like it will work fine with a bit of reserve gpm.

Now trying to shop it for best price.