Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: evaporation or leak

1. Back To Top    #1

evaporation or leak

My neighbor had a pool and spa just completed and thinks they are losing too much water.
    The builder came and said he found a leak in the coating on the gunite base.
    he used a tool to detect for leaks and found that one.

the pool is about 6,000G they say, but I think it's closer to 8,000.

How much water without a cover in central florida might be normal to lose in given period of time.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: evaporation or leak

Evaporation data by month:

http://sewater.engr.uga.edu/evaporation/Evap_FL.php

About 1/8" per day.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks I'll print it for them

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for that chart! I recently asked the same question and a clever person suggested a "bucket test" where you put a bucket on a step, fill it with water, and then compare loss in the bucket vs loss in the pool. I've been watching my waterline drop and thinking of finding a clean bucket in the shop... This chart would indicate I'm evaporating, not leaking though... makes me happy!
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

5. Back To Top    #5

The charts only give a rough estimate and local conditions can vary enough to double or halve the values in the chart on any given day so it is always a good idea to confirm with a bucket test.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater