Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: LED rope lights?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vernon, BC Canada - Pool is in Maricopa AZ (currently a holiday place)

LED rope lights?

Our pool builder doesn't recommend LED rope lights but we have a large wet deck/ tanning ledge with a table in it and I think it would look cool to have it lit up - we may not do this now but I'm wondering if we should run electrical for options later?
    Inground 12500 gallon 96 foot perimeter, 24 by 24 pool (6 by 24 of which is a "wet deck" or tanning ledge), intellibrite in spa and pool, 2 pentair LED bubblers in tanning ledge, built in table in pool, spillover spa, pebble radiance, Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater, Blue Square Q360 infloor cleaner, VS2050 pump, auto leveler, Pentair easytouch 4 with wireless controller, Pentair 420 filter, custom natural gas firepit with cobalt glass.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: LED rope lights?

Unfortunately, you can't have anything like that within 10 feet (horizontally) of the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Is that because these are most often 120v - is this prohibited if low voltage?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, still not allowed, though some may tell you it should be.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

The electrical code is fairly restrictive. With only a few exceptions that don't apply here, only listed underwater light fixtures are allowed within 10 feet, regardless of voltage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The electrical code is fairly restrictive. With only a few exceptions that don't apply here, only listed underwater light fixtures are allowed within 10 feet, regardless of voltage.
    Got it - so even if above water line they have to be rated for below water line install if within 10' - I didn't realize that.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

techgirl,
    An (expensive) alternative is fiber optic perimeter lighting. It uses an illuminator in an electrical box that is the required distance from the pool. A covered fiber optic bundle carries the light to the pool and connects to an uncovered fiber optic that runs around the pool. Looks really cool. Safe and energy efficient, but not cheap. On my wish list. Here's a link to a typical system:
    http://www.swimmingpoolsetc.com/nexx...r-lighting.htm

Mike
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is a thread where bidDave160 used glow in the dark tiles. I think this is a great idea and would love to have something like this.

so-it-begins-my-unconventional-build-i-m-callin-it-done-t52518.html
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA