new SWG

roth79

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 19, 2009
I am getting ready to convert to a SWG and have been reading alot here (thanks) and my question is I have a 15000 gallon pool and I am definately going with Pentair as I do want to automate in the near future and I just put in a intelliflo VS pump yesterday. Do I put in a I-20 or a I-40 as I read here it will work less and need less maintanace. FYI I am in South West Florida so year round chlorine is necessary.

Go with the bigger one I-40?

Thanks all,

roth

roth79 said:
I am getting ready to convert to a SWG and have been reading alot here (thanks) and my question is I have a 15000 gallon pool and I am definately going with Pentair as I do want to automate in the near future and I just put in a intelliflo VS pump yesterday. Do I put in a I-20 or a I-40 as I read here it will work less and need less maintanace. FYI I am in South West Florida so year round chlorine is necessary.

Go with the bigger one I-40?
Rule of thumb here is 2x the size of your pool when sizing the SWG. I'm still unclear on the reasons for this but I think they include the fact that a "larger" cell can produce more FC in any given timeframe than a "smaller" one and the BBB method uses higher FC numbers than traditional methods.

There are a couple of reasons to get an oversized cell, though the smaller cell will work just fine. The primary reason is that larger cells last a lot longer but don't usually cost all that much more, and so are generally a better deal. A larger cell also gives you more flexibility to cover relatively short pump run times and still produce enough chlorine.

A long side conversation on cell life has been moved to here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.