Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

new SWG

I am getting ready to convert to a SWG and have been reading alot here (thanks) and my question is I have a 15000 gallon pool and I am definately going with Pentair as I do want to automate in the near future and I just put in a intelliflo VS pump yesterday. Do I put in a I-20 or a I-40 as I read here it will work less and need less maintanace. FYI I am in South West Florida so year round chlorine is necessary.

Go with the bigger one I-40?

Thanks all,

roth
    13000 in ground Wet Edge Satin Tahitian Blue, Pentair VS pump, Hayward DE4820, Hayward Vac, Pentair SWG IC 40, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, Intellibrite Controller,
    TF-100 Test Kit, Seminole, West Central Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new SWG

Quote Originally Posted by roth79
    I am getting ready to convert to a SWG and have been reading alot here (thanks) and my question is I have a 15000 gallon pool and I am definately going with Pentair as I do want to automate in the near future and I just put in a intelliflo VS pump yesterday. Do I put in a I-20 or a I-40 as I read here it will work less and need less maintanace. FYI I am in South West Florida so year round chlorine is necessary.

Go with the bigger one I-40?
    Rule of thumb here is 2x the size of your pool when sizing the SWG. I'm still unclear on the reasons for this but I think they include the fact that a "larger" cell can produce more FC in any given timeframe than a "smaller" one and the BBB method uses higher FC numbers than traditional methods.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I have a 16,000 gallon pool and am very happy with the 40. I also have all the automation and the VS pump, very happy with all of it.
    Northeast PA (Mt Cobb) 16,000 gallon in ground salt pool with all Pentair automation and Intelliflo VS pump. Also part of the pool is a two 5-horsepower 3-jet Badujet swim system. For heating we use a 384 sq-ft Heliocol solar pool heating system and additional solar from the 160 sq-ft house solar heating system.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are a couple of reasons to get an oversized cell, though the smaller cell will work just fine. The primary reason is that larger cells last a lot longer but don't usually cost all that much more, and so are generally a better deal. A larger cell also gives you more flexibility to cover relatively short pump run times and still produce enough chlorine.

A long side conversation on cell life has been moved to here.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School