Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump flow rate question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump flow rate question

The owners manual for my pump has two specifications for flow, Maximum Flow Suction and Maximum Flow Discharge. Which of these should I use to calculate turnover rate?

Thanks,

Dave
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump flow rate question

Neither. No pump manual can take into account how your plumbing is done, which dramatically affects the flow rate.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

For a 1.5 HP full rated stealth, flow rates will be between 70-90 GPM for most plumbing setups.

But why do you need to know your turnover? It is a very poor indicator of run time.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason,

What about the plumbing affects the flow rate? The manual shows the flow rate based on 4 pipe sizes from 1.5" to 3". Does the length of the run, filter, water features affect it?

Thanks,

Dave
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

5. Back To Top    #5

Mark,

I was curious how often I am filtering the entire pool. As I learn more on this site and have read about turnover I was curious as to my flow rate. My pool is 13,200 gallons. Using the Maximum Flow rate for the suction (which is lower than discharge) side I calculated that it is pumping 7200 gallons per hour so I am basically turning over the entire pool in less than two hours. Right now I am running the pump 4 hours a day and I have my SWCG set at only five percent and my chlorine is always high. Not that it is a problem because the pool is cold and not being used but I was running it for four hours because I did not know the flow rate and I wanted to make sure I turned the water over at least once a day to pass through the filter. It seems like I can cut down my runtime to two hours a day and still turn it over completely unless I am missing something. I have even started turning off my SWCG a couple of days a week to conserve its life since my free chlorine is always at 5. I also would not mind not running the pump so much to conserve power and extend its life during the cold months.

Thanks,

Dave

6. Back To Top    #6

Just about everything about the plumbing affects the flow rate: the length of the plumbing, the diameter of the pipes, the number of bends, what kind of return fittings you use, and on and on.

Flow rate/turnovers don't normally mater, they are just a sometimes handy way of getting an initial estimate of what your pump run time should be. The real indicator of the ideal pump run time is how your water looks. See the corresponding article in Pool School for the best way to optimize your pump run time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School