Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool equipment update

1. Back To Top    #1

Johns island,SC

Pool equipment update

I just bough a house a year ago with a 15'x31' buried doughboy pool that is running a salt system. It worked great through summer but now the pump is giving out and the filter is in bad shape. The previous owners didnt really take care of the system it seems. So i am looking at the ecopump ep-4 but i can't find any reviews besides on their website. It has a 3 year warranty and it supposed to be super energy efficient. Any experience with this company? Ive heard bad about all three major brands(hayward, jandy, pentair) is it crazy to go with a non mainstream pump?
    15k gal, buried doughboy,

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Pool equipment update

It's not crazy to go with something other than the mainstream units, but you do assume a certain amount of risk until you know how they handle warranty and problem issues. They may beat the main stream mfg's hands down, we just don't have a lot of experience with them. If it were me, I'd call them and see how they respond to inquires.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Keep in mind that the EcoPump is a two speed pump, generally similar in efficiency to other widely available two speed pumps. Like other two speed pumps, they do not come close to the efficiency of a variable speed pump, though of course they don't cost nearly as much as a variable speed either. A smaller two speed pump will be even more efficient than the EP-4, which is a little larger than I would recommend for a 15K pool without a spa or any water features.

If you are paying $0.20/kwh or more I recommend going with a true variable speed pump. If your electric rate is lower than that, I recommend going with a smaller two speed pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Personally I would go with a pump from the big three. I run into this problem all the time. Homeowner buy off brand cheap equipment then when it breaks no parts available.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics