Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae added to pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae added to pool

Had to top the pool up today with some tank water, unfortunately the water probably has some algae but coming out of the tank it is quite clear. Should I shock until I pass overnight test, or would it be okay to keep FC on the higher side of okay and just keep an eye on it. Otherwise, pool is clean and sparkly.

Thanks
    9k gallon vinyl AG
    Hurlcon 1.0 HP CX240
    Hurlcon Cartridge Filter ZX100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae added to pool

I probably wouldn't raise it to shock level, but I'd hold the FC on the high side of the racommended value and run the OCLT just to make sure you're killing everything.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

FWIW, when I top off from my rain barrels, I stick the hose in the skimmer so I know that the water is going straight to my filter first. If I suspected a lot of algae, i might also turn on the inline chlorinator while I was topping off (and then turn it off as soon as I am done), or at least as Dave said, raise the chlorine level with bleach to the upper end of the range. I would do so prior to topping off. In my pool experience, proactive is always easier than reactive!
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

It's much easier to be proactive in preventing algae than it is to eliminate algae that has already taken hold.

5. Back To Top    #5

Assuming a rain catch tank scenario - what would you do prior to loading the water into the pool - would you hit it with bleach in the tank and assume the algae is destroyed, shock it and validate it was clear with an OCLT, or would you just dump it in? Unless the tank is translucent algae can't grow so the only algae would be that of newly fallen rain. Normal rainfall events don't require shocking so is there something different about a rain tank that would make it necessary to disinfect it prior to adding to the pool?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

A cup of bleach in the rainbarrel after they filled up couldn't hurt. Maybe another cupful prior to draining into the pool.
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, IntelliFlo VF Pump, 60 GPM sand filter, Jandy Aquapure Ei 35, 2 skimmers, one main drain, two returns, Dolphin Diagnostic cleaning robot, Taylor K-2006 test kit