Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air In Pump Basket When In Spa Mode

1. Back To Top    #1
    Bay Area Calif.

Air In Pump Basket When In Spa Mode

Like the title states, and this has driven me

In ground plaster pool, with raised spa. Air in pump basket when in spa mode, a little air in pool mode, since we moved in 3 years a go. Has increased over time.

The wife and I thought a little hotub time last night we be good ... so after running the heater for a bit I noticed the heater was cycling on and off.

Could not get it past 90 degrees. So we called it a night.

I have been trying to figure out the air issue in the pump basket for sometime.

So today I was, well, not gonna give up until the heater worked!!!!!!!

So I turned to this site, and the internet. After looking though tons of different reasons why my heater was cycling, I resolved it down to insufficient water flow.

The air in the pump basket was causing [I was thinking] insufficient flow of water though the heater, and the heater was over heating, and cycling.

So I replaced the o-ring in the pump basket lid, as the system is 12 years old, and I have no idea if anyone maintained this stuff.

No Change.

I came across a discussion regarding Jandy 3way no lube valves. The discussion went into how these valves, over time, would leak, or suck air.

They said a simple o-ring kit would put your life back on track...I mean the valves back on track....

Hey I have Jandy 3way no lube valves!

Soooo I go to the local pool store, and purchase these tiny life saving o-rings.

Much to my surprise upon turning the pool back on in spa mode........NO FREAKIN AIR in the pump basket.

Hotub time tonight!!!

Thanks for all the info you guys have here.....could not done it without you
    19500K IG Plaster Free Form Pool W/Spa
    Pentair Clean&Clear Plus 420/WhisperFlo WFE-8 1HPmotor/Booster Pump
    Sta-Rite Gas Fired Heater/ Aqualinks RS6

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Air In Pump Basket When In Spa Mode

Welcome to tfp, MyBad

Glad you got it sorted out!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.