Meteor filter repair

May 18, 2008
Hi. I've got a 30" Pentair Meteor sand filter that's leaking sand into the pool. I'm looking for advice on how to go about repairing it and whether anyone has any experience of using Zeosand in a Meteor..

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Filter sand getting into the pool usually means a cracked lateral, though there are a couple of other parts inside the filter that can also do that when they fail.

I have heard very mixed things about Zeosand. Some people love it some people hate it. The people who love it say it filters better than regular sand and they never have any problems. The people who hate it say that it crushes and the resulting dust gets into the pool and that it really isn't any better at filtering than regular sand.

JasonLion said:
Filter sand getting into the pool usually means a cracked lateral, though there are a couple of other parts inside the filter that can also do that when they fail.

Thanks -- does that mean I should buy a new set of laterals? And what other parts can go bad?

JasonLion said:
I have heard very mixed things about Zeosand. Some people love it some people hate it. The people who love it say it filters better than regular sand and they never have any problems. The people who hate it say that it crushes and the resulting dust gets into the pool and that it really isn't any better at filtering than regular sand.

I've read that the trick wih Zeosand is to backwash it thoroughly after installation which gets rid of the dust.

Thanks.

Mark.

You generally have to take all the sand out and visually inspect the laterals. It should be possible to see any cracks and replace only the ones that are having problems. Other parts failing is quite rare. If there isn't any lateral damage you can start looking at everything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.