Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick fix to Hayward Filter leak?

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick fix to Hayward Filter leak?

I took my Hayward DE-6000 apart for cleaning, reassembled, and now have a small drip where the top PVC enters the filter from the multipart valve. This happened last the pool guy cleaned it, and I thought he fixed it, although he may have done a quick kludge.

I would also like to do a quick fix now, and fix it right next time I disassemble it. Any chance of stopping the leak from the outside? Can I pop the filter top off, put some type of sealant around the pipe, without back washing? What sealant?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Quick fix to Hayward Filter leak?

Any chance of stopping the leak from the outside?
    Almost none. Even if you can get it dry enough, any temp sealant will quickly let go when the leak is from the inside.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the manufacturing process PVC fittings will sometimes have a seam contains extra material that runs perpendicular to the threads. I had to take a file and smooth this seam out and my leak stopped. The file needs to be in the shape of a triangle so as to not damage the threads.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is there a sealant that is safe to use on the inside of the filter?
    Something that would hold until next time I disassemble everything (and risk having to replace more PVC outside the filter).

5. Back To Top    #5

I have used clear silicone (one part acetoxy rtv type) in the past for hairline cracks on a sand filter flange. I applied it to the inside. You need to have a roughened surface for it to "grab" to. It may work for a short time but it won't last forever. Also be aware that cracks in a filter are under pressure and could be the focus for catastrophic failure at anytime.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you.

I don't think I have a crack in the body. I think the leak is due to an o-ring or the PVC connection.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I sort of misunderstood the location of your leak. Can you not just drain the filter, check the o-ring, and use pipe dope or teflon tape to remake that threaded joint?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, but I was trying to put if off. Now I just want to make sure I have everything ahead of time before I disassemble.