Rough coping edge - suggestions on smoothing it out?

4knights

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2012
NE Kansas
So I completed my install, poured the cantaliever coping and deck, removed the coping forms and overall it looks fantastic (finished in October, safety cover installed).
Of course it's way to cold out to work on the pool but I'm looking for your suggestions on best practices for smoothing the coping edge when it warms up.

I've watched a few videos but none really show how to smooth the rough edges. Im thinking of using a palm sander (GFCI of course) and sanding the entire edge but not sure if It will work or if I would need to apply anything when done.
Local concrete guys haven't done pool coping so no advice from them.

Let's hear your ideas for best results please.

I have a grinder, belt sander, palm sander, etc.. What grit wheel or pad? Start with 60 and move up or should I get one of the concrete wheels? I'm concerned with not being able to smooth the radius if I use a wheel.

I'll take some pictures this week if it stops raining and warms up a bit. (have to remove the safety cover to get the pictures.

Concrete grinding discs for angle grinders are avaulable at your local home improvement store. If you do not have an angle grinder, Harbor Frieght has an inexpensive 4 1/2" unit that should last the job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.