Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rough coping edge - suggestions on smoothing it out?

1. Back To Top    #1

Rough coping edge - suggestions on smoothing it out?

So I completed my install, poured the cantaliever coping and deck, removed the coping forms and overall it looks fantastic (finished in October, safety cover installed).
    Of course it's way to cold out to work on the pool but I'm looking for your suggestions on best practices for smoothing the coping edge when it warms up.

I've watched a few videos but none really show how to smooth the rough edges. Im thinking of using a palm sander (GFCI of course) and sanding the entire edge but not sure if It will work or if I would need to apply anything when done.
    Local concrete guys haven't done pool coping so no advice from them.

Let's hear your ideas for best results please.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rough coping edge - suggestions on smoothing it out?

A grinder will be much more effective.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

This post needs pics.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a grinder, belt sander, palm sander, etc.. What grit wheel or pad? Start with 60 and move up or should I get one of the concrete wheels? I'm concerned with not being able to smooth the radius if I use a wheel.

I'll take some pictures this week if it stops raining and warms up a bit. (have to remove the safety cover to get the pictures.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

It will be hard to give a definitive answer until we see the condition it's in.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Carborundum stone from Home Depot. $24

7. Back To Top    #7

Concrete grinding discs for angle grinders are avaulable at your local home improvement store. If you do not have an angle grinder, Harbor Frieght has an inexpensive 4 1/2" unit that should last the job.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.