bromine levels high for 4 days after shocking.

TIMMAH

Jun 16, 2009
it's time for me to shock the tub again. i flushed and refilled the tub about 2 weeks ago. last weekend i took out the bromine floater and i shocked it with 3 tbsp granular sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate. the tub does have a ozonator. the next day bromine still high "k-1004 test kit only reads to 10" and we use for tub for about 15-20 minutes. so 30-40 minutes of tub use. i thought we would knock it down by being in it. so we didn't add anything after our dip. the next 2 days we used it about the same amount of time without adding anything. floater was sitting on a chair by the tub. we shocked it on saturday and it took until wednesday for it to drop under 10 ppm. needless to say we had to shower after leaving the tub sunday and monday.

i read about hydrogen peroxide knocking down the bromine level. but i really hoped i didn't have to do that each time i shock it.

is it normal for it to take that long?

i've got a 400 gallon tub and 1 tbsp should raise it 6 ppm. reading was 6-8 before use and i added 3 tbsp so it should of been 24 ppm max.

with using the bromine 3 stage system with a ozonator. i find i only need about 1 tbsp for about evey hour of use.

1 Tbsp of dichlor will add 6 ppm chlorine, which converts to 13.5 ppm bromine. So, 3 Tbsp dichlor would raise your bromine from 6 ppm to 46.5 ppm.

Ozone makes bromine in a bromine hot tub. So, that needs to be accounted for.

Hydrogen peroxide does neutralize bromine, but it also makes bromine, so it's not a good choice to use.

Overall, you should not need to shock on a regular basis as long as you maintain adequate sanitizer levels.

It would be best if you got an FAS-DPD test kit.

no wonder. i forgot the numbers in the pool calculator would be double. i was thinking 6 ppm, but that's for chlorine.

i needed a test kit fast when i found out i couldn't trust the store test numbers. they had the k-1004 on the shelf. i just bought the k-2106, so it's on it's way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.