Makeup water in return line safe?

rstone

Aug 2, 2012
Hi guys, this is my first post, been reading the forums for a few months and have received tons of useful information. Thank you!

Here's my question - I have an indoor pool, about 7800 gallons (22x11). I use a solar cover to cut humidity in half, and to reduce evaporation and retain heat. Works well. But, I do succumb to evaporation, no real way around that.

I had my plumber install a 24v sprinkler valve. I have several check valves in place. I just want to make sure that I'm safe that no pool water will get back into the home line (don't want to drink chlorinated salt water!)

Here's the plumbing:

Skimmer -> Pump -> Pool filter -> Intellichlor IC20 -> Ozone Generator -> Pool heater -> Check value -> return outlet

The water is being added like this:

Water supply -> brass check value -> Anti-siphon solenoid value -> pvc check value -> pvc piping tee-d right after check value leaving the pool heater.

Initially, the water pressure from the pool was forcing water out of the sprinkler valve (Rainbird) diaphragm so I replaced the diaphragm with a solid cap.

Everything works perfectly, the solenoid kicks on, water fills pool. Solenoid is turned off, a sound of a click on the sprinkler value indicates water shut off. I believe this ok, I'm unable to install a dedicated water line as the pool is indoor and set in solid concrete. I'm concerned I should replace the sprinkler valve with something more industrial, like a simple brass solenoid value. Again, I just don't want pool water entering my main water supply to the house.

Any feedback, comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks again everyone,

Ron

My auto fill just runs fin the house supply through a brass anti siphon and then the float valve. From your description, sound like you have 3 or 4 valves in place to prevent water from making it from the pool to the host, do I would think you are fine.

One note, the SWG should be the last thing before returning to the pool so that explosive gas is not trapped in equipment. I certainly would not want that gas going through a heater which could be a source of ignition :shock:

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.