Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: flovis flow meter

1. Back To Top    #1

flovis flow meter

I purchased on of these from Dave at TFT test kits. Its a FlowVis flow meter, cant wait to check it out.
    http://h2flow.net/h2flow/index.cfm/prod ... low-meter/

I have a question, do you think I should install after the pump or after the DE Filter? Opinions please?

Roth
    13000 in ground Wet Edge Satin Tahitian Blue, Pentair VS pump, Hayward DE4820, Hayward Vac, Pentair SWG IC 40, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, Intellibrite Controller,
    TF-100 Test Kit, Seminole, West Central Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: flovis flow meter

If you can find an appropriate spot between the pump and the DE filter you will get a tiny bit more information that way. In that location you can measure the flow rate when backwashing, while after the filter will not be able to do that. Other than that one thing, it doesn't make any difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The downside to putting it before the filter is that it might collect some debris affecting the measurement. Plus if you ever need it to work properly as check valve, it is best to put it after the filter for the same reason.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Agree after filter that gives you the output to the pool

Nice unit but at a price, I've been using those clear plastic vertical ones for about $55, works well

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all, install today, Ill keep you updated...
    13000 in ground Wet Edge Satin Tahitian Blue, Pentair VS pump, Hayward DE4820, Hayward Vac, Pentair SWG IC 40, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, Intellibrite Controller,

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Nova13
    Agree after filter that gives you the output to the pool

Nice unit but at a price, I've been using those clear plastic vertical ones for about $55, works well
    The flovis claims to be quite a bit more accurate than many other gauges out there. Many are listed as accurate to +/- 10% of the highest reading. For a gauge that goes up to 100 gpm, the reading is +/- 10 gpm which is a pretty big range.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Didnt get in yesterday as I am chasing down air from my intake on my new Pentair Intel VS, Ill post update and pics after install.

8. Back To Top    #8

Any updates on the flow meter?
    24k Gallon, Plastered in ground pool with attached spa
    Pentair 420 cartridge filter with 3HP variable speed Pentair 011018
    Solar panels
    EasyTouch8 with IC40 salt cell
    Aquabot Rapids 4WD

9. Back To Top    #9

Yea Im sorry for not looking at responses, I love it, I got from David here at the site and it does just what I needed it to do so I can tweak my VS pump, pool has never looked better, thanks to this site and the BBB.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    The downside to putting it before the filter is that it might collect some debris affecting the measurement. Plus if you ever need it to work properly as check valve, it is best to put it after the filter for the same reason.
    Since the flow meter is also a check valve it's perfect for what I need. I believe I'll be ordering one soon. The link from http://tftestkits.net/FloVis-Flow-Meter ... r-p74.html really needs to point to the manufactures online site so it's full capabilities are explained.
    Solar panels
    Aquabot Rapids 4WD

11. Back To Top    #11

Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks Mark, I also was actually reading the manufactures page more closely and updated my post appropriately.
    Solar panels
    Aquabot Rapids 4WD

13. Back To Top    #13

I know they are expensive, but I purchased two of these because I read somewhere here a recommendation about putting a flow meter before AND after the pump. But after reading this post, I am wondering if I should leave out the one before the pump in order to avoid eventually clogging up the check valve and just install one after the filter.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

It is extremely unlikely that a FlowVis flow meter would get clogged, even if placed before the pump. At the same time, I don't see any advantage to having two flow meters, unless your plumbing splits into more than one path and you need to measure flow on both paths at the same time (something like pool and waterfall). I would place it where ever you have good access to a clear section of plumbing and the meter will be easy to read. Finally, the FlowVis does cause a slight amount of back pressure. This is not a big deal, but it is a good reason not to use two when you only need one, as two will have twice the back pressure and every little bit of back pressure reduces system efficiency (all be it by only a tiny amount).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

In your opinion, would it be a good idea to install a second one on a riser for solar if it was 25' away from equipment pad?
    -Jimbo- My pool was full of dirt and trees. Now it's full of water and children!
    20k gallon inground pool, 18" raised spa 7' round, 8 jets, 3" spa plumbing. Pentair intelliflo 3hp vsp, Easy touch 4 w/ ic 40, CCP 420 cartridge filter, Raypak 407a w/ cupro nickel, Screen logic 2, Pentair intelliph, spa side remote, Pentair 5g color lights pool and spa, TF-100 test kit with speed stir and Dolphin Oasis Z5

16. Back To Top    #16

Distance doesn't make any difference. If 25 GPM goes through the pipe here, 25 GPM will also be going through the pipe there.

But if you split the flow so that some goes to solar and some goes to the pool, then it can be handy to have a meter that measures solar separate from the direct pool return.