Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sam Spectrum Amerlite leaking...

1. Back To Top    #1

Sam Spectrum Amerlite leaking...

Hey, all...

I have an older Sam Spectrum amerlite pool light that had a small leak. I cleaned it out, got everything working again, replaced the lens gasket with an original Pentair gasket (#79101600Z) as I was told the black rubber gaskets are not as good.

About 2 weeks later, I noticed the lite was taking on water again, but worse this time. So I removed the lite & it's now drying out again.

The only thing different I did was (here it comes) I put o-ring lube/sealer around the lens gasket, thinking it would prevent anymore leaks. It didn't.

So my question is, before I tighten everything down, should I or should I not use any o-ring sealer around the lens gasket?

I have a new Pentair gasket to use, I also have a silicone gasket I was going to try too...

Thanks in advance for any help...

Corey
    17,000 gal. IG pool with spillover spa, gunite/white plaster (approx15 y/o, replastered 10/2010), Filter Equipment installed 2007: Pentair CCP520 4-cartridge filter F/R 150, Pentair Mastertemp 250 Gas Heater, 3hp Pentair IntelliFlo Variable 8 Speed Inground Pump(installed 9/2011), and Proud lifetime TFP supporter!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sam Spectrum Amerlite leaking...

I had two in my pool, and both leaked. I did my best to replace the gaskets several times, but with no luck. These lights are notorious for leaking through the bushing where the cord enters the back of the light fixture. I ended up getting LED lighting to swap out the failing lights.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sam Spectrum Amerlite leaking...

Thanks, Craig, I've been hearing the same thing about these lights. I'll try one more time with the silicone gasket & maybe silicone the heck out of where the cord enters & see what happens.

Corey
    17,000 gal. IG pool with spillover spa, gunite/white plaster (approx15 y/o, replastered 10/2010), Filter Equipment installed 2007: Pentair CCP520 4-cartridge filter F/R 150, Pentair Mastertemp 250 Gas Heater, 3hp Pentair IntelliFlo Variable 8 Speed Inground Pump(installed 9/2011), and Proud lifetime TFP supporter!!