Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fastest way to dissolve CYA Conditioner ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Fastest way to dissolve CYA Conditioner ?

We refilled our reconstructed Fiberglass Pool 2 weeks ago and filled it at that time. I am having a dickens of a time getting the Conditioner (Leslie's pools) to dissolve in front of the Skimmer return. I've even tried putting some in a bucket and stir it from time to time - but can't get it to dissolve. This is proibably due to the water termperature, right? (e.g., about 58 degrees) ..

Does anyone have a trick to actually dissolve these granules faster ? I really need to get my CYA raised to about 50 ... right now it is only about 10, and this is after 2 weeks of hanging a bag in front of skimmer.

thanks so much, once again.
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fastest way to dissolve CYA Conditioner ?

It will often dissolve more quickly if you put it in the skimmer. However nothing you can do will ever get it to dissolve quickly, especially at colder temperatures.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks ... appreciate it. I just read in other threads to NOT put it in the skimmer basket itself ... hence I have it suspended in front.
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Putting the granules directly into the skimmer can be problematic, but putting a sock containing the granules into the skimmer is fine. The sock keeps them from completely clogging the basket, which is the risk if you pour it directly into the skimmer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Try dissolving it in warm water. Then dump it in. You can only do a little at a time.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I actually did try the warm water method. Just doesn't work very well. So sock is now in the Skimmer.

7. Back To Top    #7

One other option is to use Dichlor until you reach the target level but you'd have to guess how much of the CYA you have added has actually dissolved which could be a pain to get right.

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I would suggest just keeping it inside a sock either in the skimmer or in front of a return. It WILL dissolve in time and there is no harm in it being in there. Each time you are going by the pool, squeeze the sock a time or two to help it.

Dichlor means another purchase, another calculation and another opportunity to get your chemistry incorrect. I have never tried warming it and pre-dissolving mostly because most folks on the forum report little success.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks .. the sock is in the skimmer. Yea, I didn't want to go the Dichlor route - for the reason you mentioned. I guess the good part of this is that the water tmep is 56 degrees, so algae growth is (should be?) less of an issue right now .. (I have my Cl level at about 4.0 right now as I attempt to bring up my CYA).

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I am a Leslie's store manager, and allow me to help you here. The CYA powder is not meant to dissolve quickly. Forcing it to do so will only shorten the life of the treatment. May I suggest using the Natural Chemistry liquid instead? Not only does it last a week longer, but it gives instant CYA to the pool, as the powder takes a good week to make any difference at all.

Hope this helps!

Bill
    Retail Pool Store Manager (4 years experience)

Feel free to PM me with anything you might need help with!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

It seems from most of the reports on the forum, that the powder takes 3 - 6 days on average to show up completely on the test, even though it may or may not dissolve somewhat sooner. WE have not heard that trying to dissolve it has any affect on it's lifespan, just that it (dissolving) is not effective.

The Liquid is a very viable alternative in that it IS effective upon application but at a price that is (if I remember) about 2-3 times the price. There are many times where that may be worth it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

How quickly or slowly you dissolve granular CYA makes no difference in how long it lasts. Liquid CYA doesn't last any longer than granular. Chlorine very slowly breaks down CYA whether you use liquid or solid. Splashout and backwash are the biggest enemy of CYA and the type you use makes no difference in that whatever.

I've used granular and had it test to the expected level a day after so there are instances where it doesn't take nearly a week to dissolve. The reason for the suggestion of waiting a week to test is to keep people from wasting testing reagent because it's possible that it won't show up on the test for a week. Also, as soon as the granular is dissolved it starts working, it just might not show up on the test.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

excellent points Bama ... I've been wasting reagent for exactly that reason. At this rate, I'm figuring it will take a total of 3 weeks to get my CYA up to where it needs to be (this was a total refill). The PC suggests that I will need close to 3 bags of the Stablizer and I just finished the 1st ... and my CYA is barely starting to register (at about 10). Other note: I never added any stabilizer after taking possession of this pool -- mainly because previous owner use a pool serive, who use Dichlor (or Trichlor) tabs all the time. My CYA was 55-60 the entire summer.

thanks all ... slowly disolving.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bill
    Not only does it last a week longer
    What do you mean that "not only does it last a week longer"? CYA is not consumed the way that chlorine is consumed. When adding pure CYA into a T-shirt in my skimmer, it dissolves completely over a day and registers fully in my pool within 2 days.

As for pricing, the Instant Pool Water Conditioner is roughly twice as expensive as pure CYA though obviously it depends on where you buy each and in what quantity. So it's a cost/convenience trade-off.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"