Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Make sure your solar heat is installed correctly

1. Back To Top    #1

Make sure your solar heat is installed correctly

New to pools.

Just make sure it is installed correctly. It was disclosed, when we bought our home, there was a roof leak due to the solar for the pool & was repaired. We have had the roof continue to leak this past year and are ready to repair the roof. Though the installer may have done it according to specs, our clay tile roofs more care needs to be taken, but the previous homeowners did not have it done the right way (& the repair was caulking). We have to spend a few thousand for the roof repair and a few thousand for a solar company to remove the panel for the roofer and to come back to replace it when the repair & seal is complete.
    San Diego, CA
    **POOL SPECS: 16K GAL, 30' x 16', 3' to 4' to 6' DEP [4.33 AVG DEP], 98 LIN/FT, White Plaster, Dual Drains VGB [P/S], 3" x 3" Blue/Brwn Tiles, DIG Auto Fill, Pink/Red Deck, Beige DOS, 1' x 1' Coping
    **SPA SPECS: 7' LENGTH, 28 LIN/FT, 3' DEP
    **EQUIP SPECS: Filter: CNC PLS 520, Chlorine generator : IC-40, Vacuum: NAVIGATOR, Automation: EZ TCH 8, Pump: INTELLIFLO Variable Speed, Pump: 1.0 HP DYNA-GLAS [SHEER], RAYPAK, RAINB 320 In-Line

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Make sure your solar heat is installed correctly

And this is the reason why I would never have solar added. Why risk having a crappy installer ruin your roof. It could take years before the crappy install job is discovered and there is no recourse. You then have to replace/repair your roof at your expense.

A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you.

3. Back To Top    #3

Lake Nona, Florida

I wonder what the stats are? I had a roofer tell me that is repairing roof damage from solar "all the time". But then, of course, the solar guys say they install these all over and they "almost never" damage a roof. We are getting one... are there specific things to check at install? specific things to watch over time?
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

The best thing to do is to get references from your perspective installer and check them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Sault Ontario

It's like anything, a crappy job is a crappy job, you can't write off an entire industry based on the shoddy work component within that industry.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list