Best way to remove/store a solar cover

tmas

Mar 3, 2010
Houston
I had a reel for my solar cover, but that broke and was a pain to move from the pool to behind the garage. I'm looking for an easy solution to remove the cover. During the spring and fall I will frequently remove the cover on the weekends and then replace it during the week. I've read about cutting it into thirds or I could just roll it by hand from one end, but I wanted to see if there were any other creative ideas.

Thanks!

I'm bumping this back up in the hopes of more input... My wife wants a solar blanket and a reel to roll it up on. I feel that since we have multiple teenage boys, a reel would be superfluous. What do you all think? How necessary is that reel?
(PS: considering a 12mil double layer blanket)

A lot depends on the shape of the pool and how much room you have for the reel. Pools that are rectangular will be easier to roll and unroll compared to a free flowing shape pool where the cover is dragging on the walls while being rolled up. Either way, having 2 or more people is going to make everything easier. One nice thing about having a reel is that the cover isn't left on the ground.

I've been using the Solar Roller (http://solarfactory.com/) for a couple of years now. It's somewhat similar to the home-grown solution that dschlic1 mentioned. It solved the problem of not being able to put a reel anywhere. My experience is that it usually doesn't work quite as well as the videos seen on the site, but I have seen it work that well occasionally. I found it works much better if pool circulation is turned off when putting the cover back on. It's not perfect, but I like it much better than a solar reel (before I put in a slide I had a place to put a solar reel and used one for several years). The owner/inventor is good to work with and honored his warranty when I had a piece break. It's worth a look to see if it meets your needs.

We have a 24' round and have not had a solar cover for several years because our reel broke. (It was a pain anyway!) I like your idea. I have seen the commercially made "solar cover saddles", but am interested in how you made yours of PVC. Could you post a picture of it?

20 x 40 rectangular, two people at the 20 ft end opposite diving board, fan fold it in about 2 to 3 ft folds, then roll it up toward the shady side so it doesnt cook in the sun all day. to put it back on, roll it out, grab a corner and pull toward the diving board end. i would like a better way to store it while off, but dont really have a place for a reel. still looking for a better way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.