Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to remove/store a solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to remove/store a solar cover

I had a reel for my solar cover, but that broke and was a pain to move from the pool to behind the garage. I'm looking for an easy solution to remove the cover. During the spring and fall I will frequently remove the cover on the weekends and then replace it during the week. I've read about cutting it into thirds or I could just roll it by hand from one end, but I wanted to see if there were any other creative ideas.

Thanks!
    Houston
    ~20,000 inground plaster pool
    1.5 HP Hayward
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to remove/store a solar cover

I fastened a peice of 1" PVC pipe (SCHD 80) to the cover with nylon screws. I roll the cover up using that pipe. Stores in the grage rolled up.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm bumping this back up in the hopes of more input... My wife wants a solar blanket and a reel to roll it up on. I feel that since we have multiple teenage boys, a reel would be superfluous. What do you all think? How necessary is that reel?
    (PS: considering a 12mil double layer blanket)
    East Texas Piney Woods
    (more specifically N/E Texas)
    pool data:
    In ground vinyl lined
    sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

A lot depends on the shape of the pool and how much room you have for the reel. Pools that are rectangular will be easier to roll and unroll compared to a free flowing shape pool where the cover is dragging on the walls while being rolled up. Either way, having 2 or more people is going to make everything easier. One nice thing about having a reel is that the cover isn't left on the ground.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

I've been using the Solar Roller (http://solarfactory.com/) for a couple of years now. It's somewhat similar to the home-grown solution that dschlic1 mentioned. It solved the problem of not being able to put a reel anywhere. My experience is that it usually doesn't work quite as well as the videos seen on the site, but I have seen it work that well occasionally. I found it works much better if pool circulation is turned off when putting the cover back on. It's not perfect, but I like it much better than a solar reel (before I put in a slide I had a place to put a solar reel and used one for several years). The owner/inventor is good to work with and honored his warranty when I had a piece break. It's worth a look to see if it meets your needs.
    Southern CA 30K gal Pebble Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP 2 speed Hayward DE6020 filter Paramount Debris Canister Goldline/Hayward AquaRite Pro SWG (T-CELL 15) Sense & Dispense (acid) Paramount Debris Canister Pentair IntelliBrite 5G and GloBrite Inter-Fab G-Force slide Jandy deck jets Lion head spout Dolphin Premier Cleaner Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I constructed a cradle from 3/4 inch PVC it hooks to the posts of the pool ( no drilling into the posts)It holds the cover in an accordion fold and it's easy on easy off never touches the ground. This was so simple and inexpensive to make its the best idea I've ever had��
    21ft above ground lomark pool. Hayward sand filter.. Solar blanket . Solara solar heater/c 2 panels

7. Back To Top    #7

We have a 24' round and have not had a solar cover for several years because our reel broke. (It was a pain anyway!) I like your idea. I have seen the commercially made "solar cover saddles", but am interested in how you made yours of PVC. Could you post a picture of it?

8. Back To Top    #8

I will take some pictures tomorrow.
    21ft above ground lomark pool. Hayward sand filter.. Solar blanket . Solara solar heater/c 2 panels

9. Back To Top    #9

20 x 40 rectangular, two people at the 20 ft end opposite diving board, fan fold it in about 2 to 3 ft folds, then roll it up toward the shady side so it doesnt cook in the sun all day. to put it back on, roll it out, grab a corner and pull toward the diving board end. i would like a better way to store it while off, but dont really have a place for a reel. still looking for a better way.
    30000 gal inground vinyl liner;sand filter w/glass media, nuvo uv, TF-100 test kit; 25 years on Baquacil, converted to TFP chlorine in 2016