Help with Hayward H150 Heater

This is our third season with our Hayward H150 gas heater. Every year, my husband has problems getting it started. I never touch it, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Today, he tried starting it and nothing.... I guess there are directions on the heater itself and he followed the directions, but still nothing. Is there anyone out there with the same heater? We have the one with the electronic ignition. My husband thinks the electronic ignition is not working. We've had the same problem with our gas grill and so we would normally get a lighter and light it ourselves. Is this something we should do?

Also, if we can't get it going, who should we call? For some reason, I'm thinking a plumber. Am I nuts?

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have the H250, two seasons old and the first year it was not igniting correctly. The company that installed the pool came and reset something as the board that starts it had some sort of a glitch. Who knows if they were just feeding me a line or what though. Perhaps its the same problem you are having.

This year the tech that was out adjusted something else to help it fire up smoother after he fixed a leaking pressure switch he said. Least it was not the heat exchanger which was what I expected after reading some hayward documentation.

I have that same heater as well. Are you hearing a fan start up when you turn the unit on? That would at least let you know if it has power. When you turn the dial to start heating, you should hear a fan come on for a few minutes, and then it tries to ignite. If you don't hear the fan starting up, you know that the problem is occuring before the ignition attempt.

Thank you both for your replies. I went out there yesterday and tried to turn it on following the directions on the door, but it did not work. I tried listening for the fan, but did not hear anything. We're going to try to call the guy that installed it 3 years ago, but he has not called us back. We want to warm up the pool for this coming Memorial Day weekend.

Any other comments or helpful hints would be appreciated.

Thanks!

This happened to me last year. To fix it, I took of the top of the unit (it was very simple...just 6 philips head screws) and just gave the fan a spin. You'll see the fan when you take the top off. It's covered by a big circle. There was something lodged in there and by manually turning it, it knocked free whatever the thing was and it ran problem free the rest of the year.

It's possible your's is a different problem, but this is a 5 minute test that at least will help you rule out some things.

Update on Hayward Heater

Hi all. I promised an update, so here it is.

We called a plumber because the couple of recommendations we received from the Pool store couldn't make it out to our place until sometime in June. I didn't realize how busy these guys were. Anyway, as my husband pointed out to me, a plumber should be able to figure it out because the gas heater is like a hot water heater.

Well, $475 later, our heater is now working. We needed the gas valve and the thermo coupling (spelling) for the water heater to be replaced. The plumber gave us the receipt for the parts and it was a little over $300. The service call and labor was $150.

Just wondering if you folks do anything special besides turning off the gas and covering the heater in the winter when you close down your pool. I'm just amazed at the cost to repair this thing. The heater originally cost us $900, not including installation and 3 years later we're replacing parts! I'm just wondering if we're not doing something right. Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the replies and helpful suggestions.

I shut off the gas, cover and remove all plumbing, then I use the hose going into one side of it as a funnel and pour RV antifreeze into it until it comes out the other side. Then I cover it with a tarp and bungee straps.

I would not think that a thermo coupling would cost that much, but maybe... This spring I had to change my pressure switch and it was $65, which is cheaper than a new heater. When I hooked it up and saw water coming out the top of it I almost had a heart attack thinking it was going to be the end of it.

I am seriously considering supplementing with a home made solar coil this year though. That will have to come later though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Pooltime for the heater manual link. I will check it out. I'm hoping there is something I'm not doing right when closing that made my heater go funky. Otherwise, if I have to fix it every 3-4 years at $475 a crack, I'll have to revisit my options.

Thanks to sevver for your comments. I wouldn't have thought it cost so much either. I'm hoping this is just a one time thing.

Wow. The problem with these pool heaters is they sit outside getting all rusty and spiders like to make nests in the oriface. I,m sure it just needed a t-couple and a cleaning. Find a HVAC company that will come out and give it good cleaning every year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.